ASRock 775i65GV Slic 2.1 Modded Bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by cingularv551, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cingularv551

cingularv551 MDL Junior Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I've created a modded bios with a windows7 2.1 asus slic and a windows xp slp string for the ASRock 775i65GV Motherboard. This bios is really difficult to modify compared to most.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YUVPM4B5

2. cingularv551

cingularv551 MDL Junior Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Here's the readme.txt file that is included in the zip archive:

The ASRock 775i65GV motherboard is a very difficult motherboard to insert the a SLIC or SLP string into. Most slic insertion and slp tools give errors that there isn't any space left in the bios to insert any additional information.

And then there is the issue of the asrock flash utility which often refuses to install modified bioses due to checksum issues. These checksum issues can't be easily bypassed with command line switches since the asrock flash utility is just a wrapper which spawns a new subprocess of an old ami flash utility. No command line arguments are passed between the wrapper and the actual flash utility except for the filename of the bios. To get around this issue, a 2009 bios flash utility directly from ami was used to flash the bios.

This bios is based on Fzeven's 775i65GV modded bios. AndyP's AMI SLIC Tool was used initially to insert the SLP 1.0 string. Fzeven's bios came with a 2.0 windows vista slic, but i wanted a 2.1 windows 7 slic installed. So:

-the 1B module was extracted using mmtool
    -the 1B module was edited using winhex to paste the ASUS_Notebook 2.1 slic over the ASUS_Notebook 2.0 slic
    -the 1B module was then reinserted into the rom image using amimmdos
    -the rom image was flashed to the motherboard using AFUDOS under WIN98SE DOS

Two different rom images are included on this disc
    -asusasus.rom has the asus windows7 2.1 slic + "ASUS_FLASH" windows xp SLP string
    -asusdell.rom has the asus windows7 2.1 slic + "Dell System" windows xp SLP string

Also included is a file called boot98se.exe from www.bootdisk.com. Running this file under windows will create a bootable floppy disk with win98se dos. When booting this floppy, you are presented with a menu to boot with or without cdrom support. Some flashing utilities have trouble with dos cdrom drivers, so choose without cdrom support to be safe.

For my testbed system, the computer was booted off a floppy drive connected directly to the floppy port on the motherboard. The 775i65GV motherboards also support booting from a usb floppy drive, but I have not tested usb floppy booting for bios flashing purposes.

For vista and windows7 use the asus 2.1 certificate included in this archive. The 2.1 slic included in this bios will not activate windows using the old 2.0 asus certificate.