ASRock x48TurboTwins CMOS checksum destroyed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by madaload, Sep 14, 2009.

1. madaload

madaload MDL Junior Member

Dec 20, 2008
    #1 madaload, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #2 911medic, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. madaload

Dec 20, 2008
    Basically, I only use no switch modding for original files and /i for modded ones. Both "afudos xxxxx.rom /i" and "afudos xxxxx.rom" result in the same message at the end of flashing. I have tried to flash with the original un-modded file, but I'm still getting the message. I remember the modding got stuck after I mistakingly typed "afudos /i" and hit the enter key in the beginning, so maybe that's what caused it. But it didn't seem to have touched the BIOS at all, because after reboot all was fine.

When I used the /i switch before the .rom file (afudos /i xxxxx.rom), the flashing didn't even start.

Do you think I could repair the CMOS checksum somehow?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    »Updating BIOS Procedures

1. Create a bootable system floppy disk.
    2. Download an updated ASRock BIOS file (WinZip format with .zip file extension) from the web site, unzip the BIOS file and save both AFUDOS.EXE utility and BIOS file to the disk you created in step 1.
    3. Boot from the disk you created in step 2.
    4. At the "A:\" prompt, type AFUDOS, hit space bar once, and type BIOS file name then press <Enter>. For example: A:\AFUDOS ANF7R301 <Enter> then you will see a message "Please wait for BIOS loading ROM".
    5. After 30 seconds, you will see the message "Program ended normally", then you have finished upgrading the BIOS.
    6. After finishing upgrading the BIOS, please remove the floppy disk. Restart your system and press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up.
    7. In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press <Enter> to continue.
    8. Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press <Enter> to exit the BIOS setup utility.
    9. Now, system is booting up with new BIOS.

5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    There is nothing wrong with your bios, just means that everything was reset after your flash. If you made any changes in the bios previous to flashing it you may need to make those same changes again. Most likely thing someone would see as far as error messages go would be a boot failure because the boot order was changed (if so change it back), keyboard errors or even a floppy disk error if the system doesn't have one and the bios says it does.

Before flashing look at every tab in the bios, write down the values if you can't remember them so you can restore the settings later. If the bios is reset from a flash or resetting the bios manually with the jumper just look to your list of settings that you wrote down. In the right hand side or the bottom of the screen you will see a legend that instructs on which keys to use to navigate access and change settings.

An example of loosing settings would be the floppy drive, if your system does not have a floppy and you flash the bios and reset to defaults (checksum destroyed) then the next time you boot windows will think you have a floppy drive, will be unable to access it and prompt you to format a floppy disk that does not exist, to fix that just enter the bios and where is says you have a 1.44mb floppy, manually change that to none or disabled.

6. madaload

Dec 20, 2008
    Thank you for the flashing guide and for taking the time to write it, urie, but I really just wanted to know why I get the “CMOS checksum destroyed” message and how to fix it. First thing I’ve done after getting the message was exactly what you described using my but at the end of flashing I got the scary message again. And even though everything worked fine I thought it was better to ask. ;)

If Dolorous Edd is right then I’ll sleep better tonight. It just makes me wonder why would the AMI guy who wrote the flashing utility use such an intimidating and scary way to inform you about the CMOS data reset. Why not “CMOS data was reset” instead of “CMOS checksum destroyed”? Well. I guess it’s one of those things. :eek:

Thanx guys.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I misread post
    i thought you were getting that MSG everytime you booted your machine:)