Asus Eee PC with windows 7 starter

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dumble, Nov 25, 2010.

1. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Hello..

I bought a Asus Eee Pc (netbook) with win7 starter. There is a lot of bloat-ware installed. I wonder if I can download the windows 7 starter msdn edition. And reinstall the whole OS using the key thats on the back of my netbook.

Specs:
    Asus Eee PC 1005PE
    Windows Starter OA LATAM

Second question.
    Asus has another OS, which is called express gate. There are 2 on/off buttons on the netbook. When the netbook is off and you click the left one. This Express Gate OS starts. When you click the right button win7 starts. I wonder when I reinstall windows7 will this ´Express Gate´ OS be removed?

PS.
    I have downloaded this MSDN version:

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #2 sebus, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    The key is NOT OEM SLP (just OEM)

So use the key from stickies above!

Just check how the partitions are setup (which is active etc) and when re-installing make sure you do NOT destroy the partition with MG

Best would be to make image of this partition, so you are safe

sebus

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You should download slic dump toolkit from forum use that to back up you key and certificate, Im not sure if key on back of your netbook will be oem slp one, you can use pid checker to check.

4. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    OK. I made a backup with slick dump toolkit. I checked my key with MS PIDX check. It says:
    So not SLP I think?

There was a weird thing I noticed. When I run SLIC ToolKit v3.2, and go to the advanced tab. I look at the Pkey. It says Read OK! ( >first 16 numbers of my product key< ). The weird thing is that this are different ´numbers´ then on the back of my netbook!

5. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #5 FreeStyler, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    OK,

I just checked my ´active´ product key with ´the ultimate PID checker´ (by janek2012). And it says:
    So I think this means I have a SLP key. And the only thing I need to do is install the new MSDN edition, and after the install import my own certificate and key. And everything will work fine? Right?

PS.
    What is the COA key for, anyway?

EDIT.
    Yeah you´re right, key is exactly the same.., isnt that weird?

7. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Right!

A COA key can be used to re-activate Windows if you formatted your PC, downside of using a COA key is it won't automaticly activate your Windows, you need to call MS to be able to make a COA key work

No not really, OEM:SLP keys are assigned by Manufacturer, so ASUS has 1 OEM:SLP key for the Starter version they use to pre-activate all systems they ship with Windows Starter pre-installed.

8. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    #9 dumble, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    (OP)
    I am still a little confused. If I reinstall windows7 I format my harddisk first. So won´t I need the COA key then?

edit.
    Also, during the setup from windows7 msdn edition I downloaded, do I install without serial? And afterwards I will import my back-upped key and certificate?

9. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    No, you do not need to use the COA key. One thing not mentioned in this thread are drivers. Make sure you have them before you wipe the drive and perform the fresh install. Either download them from the Asus support web site, or save the existing drivers that are already installed using a tool such as Double Driver. Sorry I am unable to post links until I make a few more posts... :)

10. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    nah drivers R not gonna be a problem.. I did many os installations, I just never did a legal one. How fun is that..

PS.
    i´ll report back when I reinstalled!

11. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    This sentence says it all doesn't? If you like to activate automaticly (without calling MS everytime you reinstall Windows) use the OEM:SLP key and OEM Certificate you made a backup copy of

12. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Thanks everyone (especially you FreeStyler) for all the help!

I am now running from a new / clean installed ASUS EeePC. Fully activated. Working much better and faster without all the crap that was pre-installed!

I am gonna test this for a few weeks, and then test the ubuntu netbook edition. And decide what I am gonna use..

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ dumble, just remember you can put any version of windows 7 OEM SLP using your certificate and just change serial to say home premium but you need to edit dvd and remove ei.cfg file that gives you choice of any version to install.
    Keys are not normally brand specific but there is only one available that we know of for ASUS EeePC that is starter as you know.

14. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Why modify bios when you already have slic 2.1 genuine from asus?
    Insert certificate (already done) and use proper OEM:SLP key.

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  16. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    There is one thing I dont understand. I have a genuine slic 2.1 bios you say. But when I bought the ASUS, the first thing I did was download the newest BIOS from the asus website. And then flashed the BIOS. I figure it must be still genuine then? But that would be weird as well, because if you for example bought a ASUS (freedos version). You would only have to download the newest bios from asus support website and it would be genuine? Or am I mistaken..

17. ttmax

ttmax MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
  18. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    A system sold with freedos, or Ubuntu... most likely will have a crippled bios (at least this is how Dell does it) With crippled i mean for example 50% of the slic table visible the other half hidden (for Dell's this can be made visible again by using the asset tag util)