Asus laptop dead hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bigbadjohn, Apr 5, 2014.

1. bigbadjohn

bigbadjohn MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2010
    Windows 8 Asus laptop dead hard drive

I understand all I need to do is install and it will pickup serial from bios
    and be activated

I found a windows 8 pro dvd but it did not activate maybe because laptop came with basic
    I want to activate it without an activator as its not my laptop, and it did come with windows 8 genuine on it
    I notice all the links here are dead and all the torrent are for other than basic windows 8

Thanks

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 pisthai, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    AFAIK you'll need to know first what original Windows 8 it were: Core, Single Language or Country specific. Or you like to install the Pro version, you'll need to ad an ei.cfg file to the install media which contains:
    Code:
    [EditionID]
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Hmm, 90 % CoreSingleLanguage ... :g:. Matter of the region you live in. In EU they are shipped with normal Core. Afaik CSL is for so called "emerging markets" and should prevent them being reselled in other countries with discount.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    as much as I hate ASUS, they are affordable, but they provide cheap crap that's how the cost is down.

Example: all laptops I have personally seen are on Windows 8 Single Language, come with some crappy Atheros WiFi that cannot even exceed 72 MBPS WiFi connection and doesn't support 5 GHz. network when even cheap Acer laptops put a WiFi card that supports 5 GHz. networks.

I bought the laptop you see in my sig for $2500 USD and I get crappy WiFi which is why I had to order a Bigfoot Wirless N Killer 1202 card

I don't know how they're sold in other countries like Europe or US, but this is how it is in the Middle East and Asia