Asus n61Ja bios update problem

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by zKs, Jul 5, 2012.

1. zKs

zKs MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2012
    #1 zKs, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    Hello,

I wanted to update the bios, with an official bios update, from version 207 to 211. I didn't use winflash, I used easyflash in the bios. Everything seemed to be going okay; it deleted the old files, wrote the new ones, verified the new ones. Then it said: shutdown in/after 2 seconds and it shut down. Then nothing happened anymore. Power button completely unresponsive. The battery light was still on, and I'm not sure if I should've just waited... I didn't though, I thought I had to remove the battery, take the power off completely to be able to start it up again.

So I'm wondering: what are my options here? My warranty expired and I don't really have the money to send it in and pay hundreds of bucks on repairs.

Is there anything I can try? CMOS battery reset? Anything???

Please help me out! I would be very grateful :)

ps. What was sort of odd btw, was that easyflash said something like that it was an unsigned bios and if I wanted to flash it anymore, if i wanted to 'force' it or something. It was with 100% certainty the correct update from the Asus.com support site, so I didn't take that 'warning' seriously.

pps. support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=nl-nl&m=N61Ja&p=3&s=217 downloaded the bios from there ;p

ppps. I know I shouldn't have tried to update my bios. don't try to fix it if it's not broken and all that.. but I got overexcited trying to tweak my pc and I figured since I'd flashed plenty of pcs in the past and had never had any problems before it wouldn't be a problem... wish I hadnt tho =(

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    filename for recovery is N61Ja.bin
    type is EFI/Insyde

3. zKs

zKs MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2012
    Hey! thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure how to solve the problem with that info though ;o

are you 100% sure it's EFI/Insyde, btw?

On this screenshot dl.dropbox.com/u/3665235/BIOS_Final.jpg it says Aptio Setup Utility / American Megatrends Inc.

Is there a way to restore the N61Ja.bin??? If so, could you go into detail on how to do it? Since my laptop is completely unresponsive I'm not sure what to do.

I have the service manual for an N61Vn btw. should show me how to get to the CMOS if needed.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  5. zKs

zKs MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2012
    I tried it but the laptop doesn't do anything at all. No response no nothing.