ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Memory Jumpers

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, May 10, 2014.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I have 2Gb memory 512Kb X 4, for years. I've just obtained good quality, tested, 4Gb of memory, 1GbX4. I took out all the old memory and replaced it with the tested memory. It wouldn't boot, no BIOS, just a black screen. Now when I put in 2GB of memory, I am able to see all the normal things, BIOS, Booting into Windows, etc.

Is there some sort of jumper on my ASUS board that needs to be turned on for 4gb of memory. I even test all 4Gb (2GB at a time) and had no issues. Can anyone assist me with this out of date and old board? If I had the money, I would get a modern mother board with an intel cpu. Being unemployed for a couple of years, applying daily for a job, and taking care of my 74 old mother is very difficult. My father passed this last December 26th has even made it harder, but we'll make it.
    Thank You.
    David

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
  3. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#3 my2cents, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
    Hi David,

You could try changing your BIOS to a single-channel memory configuration (with all 4 x 1GB sticks installed); however, you will not realize the full memory capacity of that 4th stick as "usable" because of your x32 OS limitation. Or, you could try just running with a 3 x 1GB configuration and that should work without issue. Again, that 4th stick will not be fully utilized anyway, so it couldn't possibly run dual channel with all 4 sticks installed. Give it a try and let us know.

Screenshot (118).png

Good luck,

my2cents

4. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#4 my2cents, May 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
    OR, if you want to retain your dual channel configuration, you could try running 2 x 1GBs in the blue slots and place 2 x 512Kb in the black slots. Again, you would gain very little advantage (if any) by trying to get that 4th 1 GB stick recognized because of your x32 OS limitation.

Good luck,

my2cents

5. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. my2cents

my2cents Guest

Also another configuration I forgot. Try 3 x 1GB plus 1 x 512KB. That would put you back at single channel but give you 3.X GBs of RAM. The X stands for unknown as each computer differs depending on BIOS, x32, and chipset limitations. The actual amount recognized could be anywhere from 0KB to the full 512KB.

Good luck,

my2cents

7. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you that worked with no problem (3 x 1GB). I thought that you had to use mem sticks in pairs.

8. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you for the suggestion. Is Dual Channel faster than single channel when it comes down to processing?

9. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Dual Channel is faster. With Single Channel, you either read from it or write to it, you can't do both at the same time (clock cycle). With Dual Channel, you can read from one channel while writing to the second channel during the same clock cycle, which is why dual channel requires being installed in pairs. I forget how much of a "real world" performance increase this results in. If your single channel setup seems okay to you, well that is all that counts.

OT - pencil eraser is best. Ink too aggressive.

10. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe

Thank you, it does work. When I install two 1GB PC3200 (400 Mhz) DDR DIMMs and the Post message shows that I have 2048 Mb of RAM, but when I put in three 1GB PC3200 (400 Mhz) DDR DIMMs, the Post message shows I have 3070 Mb RAM, shouldn't it show 3072 Mb RAM?

Then I put in four 1GB PC3200 (400 Mhz) DDR DIMMs and the Post message shows that I have 3070 Mb of RAM, shouldn't that at least 3072 RAM? Just for the hell of it, I switched the sticks of RAM about a dozen times and they always show 3070 Mb RAM.

I know the RAM is all good because I tried them on my cousin's machine with a Pentium 4 @ 3.0Ghz, but different MoBo. Any suggestions or recommendations that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
    I appreciate all the assistance you've provided. That's why I depend on My Digital Life Forums, all the gurus hang out here.
    Thank You.
    David

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: