ASUS P4P800-E Mother Board won't post any error messages

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, Aug 9, 2016.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I have a good ASUS P4P800-E Mother Board, with a P4 Extreme Chip, 4Gb memory. I connected the CPU, Memory, Graphics Card, connected all the connectors to the Panel (IDE Led, Power LED, etc), connected the CPU power, CPU fan, Mother Board Power, memory correctly seat. Then when I double check everything, and turn the power on, the green light on the Mother Board goes on, but that's it, no error beeps, no HDD lights, even the graphics card goes on, and yes, the graphic's card power supply is plugged in.

How can I trouble shoot so I can discover what is going on? In other words, what is the minimum amount of items that can be connected to boot up or at least get to the BIOS screen, which I cannot even do now.

I would appreciate any and all assistance with this minor issue.
    Thank you in advance.

:worthy:

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ps2 keyboard to get bios likely.. but sounds like ram or bios related.

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #4 ofernandofilo, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Usually for POST you need:
    Monitor, Keyboard, Power Supply, Video Card, RAM, CPU, Motherboard and a new CR2032.

* This set can vary from system to system ... is not always necessary keyboard, and is not always necessary CR2032 ... sometimes it's better no battery that an old battery, etc.

** The rest, who are not in this list are not normally required for the POST and is therefore best to avoid using them.

*** All items must be working to you get a properly POST and must be compatible with which other. Like: your motherboard must be compatible with the type o RAM are you using and the CPU must be in the list of supported cpu for the bios versions installed on the mobo.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  6. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012

Yes, the monitor is plugged into the GPU, and no, I didn't take it the wrong way! :)

7. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    The memory is good, and I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. If it is the BIOS, how would I get it to show on the monitor?

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I had an A8N Asus board many moons ago and for no reason the bios corrupted on it, I put in a new bios chip (back then it was only $10.) and I used the board for another year or two until the caps went bad

9. HrVr000

HrVr000 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    Hi,
    I had few of this motherboards and they also go bad,
    first off all to se if motherboard is working you don't need anything else then Cpu Motherboard powersuply speaker, PS2 Keyboard, your wireless keyboard and mouse will not work.

conect just power supply CPU and speaker on the bottom (watch on plus and minus you have marked on motherboard and in manual)
    he will obviously not bot and point is not boot device, but to test,
    to power it on just use something metalic and short pins for pw switch(also marked on motherboard and in manual) or if you prefer keep motherboard in chase and connect pw switch.....
    after you start motherboard CPU fan must go on and you need hear continuously beep or beep in 1 second appart. After that next step is add Ram Cooke... He should beep only once and that means CPU ram motherboard are ok.next gpu and had....

10. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    That's the problem, nothing beeps, no fans, etc.. When I turn on the Power Switch on the Power Supply, the only thing that goes on is the GREEN light on the MoBo.

Yes, I did get a newer case, but I didn't even put it in the case yet. I bought the ASUS P4P800-E on eBay, everything was clean, nothing broken, bent or missing.
    Thank You.

11. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Okay, I was unaware that you can take out the BIOS chip. Is it the 4Mbit Firmware Chip, the BIOS, if so, how do I remove it?
    Thank You.

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    The best thing you should do first is to connect a speaker as pisthai recommended on the front panel pins to see if your get any fault code beeps, and if your do, find out what the diagnostic beep code is

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I didn't see where the OP stated he connected the speaker, and if he connected the red speaker wire to the +5v pin and the black speaker wire to the Speaker pin. Asus does have Post Reporter so making sure he has a working speaker would really help. Section 3.3 in the man.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #16 pisthai, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Sorry to answer late, I wasn't at Office, neither at home and just came back!
    The first thing you really should do is to use a speaker for to get any existing Error Code!

OK, what jumper I and II you're talking about? On the MB Layout are not Jumper I and/or II! Please post a picture with those jumpers marked!

Regarding the Wire Color: white is _ (minus/ground) color is + (plus) and connect them in the right direction, is mandatory! Not to connect in the right direction, could end up in a short and damage! If differs, the easiest way to check is to use the Power LED Cable and connect to see which direction light's up the LED, that would be the correct color on the + connect. I had that problem once on a Gigabyte MB where all white was + and the colors are -!!

15. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Okay, I was fortunate that a local PC Shop, PC Pro Now (Berlin, New Jersey (US)), just took my MB, Video card, power supply, plugged it on. Then all he did was he used a small flat head screw driver to "jump" the two yellow pins (labeled PWRSW), on the edge of the ASUS P4P800E, then the power supply fan came on along with the CPU heat sink fan and the fan on the graphics card. I thanked him and went home to do the same thing. Guess what happened net?

Nothing at all. This may seam strange, but, IMHO, I think some one is driving me crazy. But it won't work! I'm going to put it away for a while (hopefully a short one), and use my (really my mother's but I can't get her to use it) Toshiba Satellite L50t-A notebook. I dislike notebook/laptop for my personal use because I feel limited for some odd reason. I prefer to be connected physically to the internet, scanners, not so much with printers because I'm old fashion that way. I don't know.

I just want to thank everyone for all your assistance with everything and when I actually get it to work, I will post it on MDLF so everyone will know that your help wasn't in vane. I'm too frustrated now with this and trying to find employment to get back on my feet, so I can help my mother with her bills. I've been living with her my entire life. After my father passed on 12-26-2013 (he went in his sleep-nothing was wrong with him), I've been taking care of my 77 year old mother. She has diabetes, two stents in her heart, sleep apnea, the aches and pains of getting older (I know myself, I'm starting to have them). But I love her and taking care of her is a great honor because I have her to myself. I've been fortunate so far.

Sorry about the personal info, but my life is an open book.
    Thanks again to everyone for your support.....:clap:

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Question: As YOU try to get the MB to start after back from Service, did you fixed the MB with screws in the case?

It's possible, if you'd done so, that you there is some short which prevent the MB from starting! Try first to start the MB outside of the case just with the PSU and VGA Card connected by short the 2 Power Pin (yellow) in the Panel (lower left corner).

If that works, just use some small Washer rings (not metal, there some red from hard paper) for to prevent any short while fixing the MB in case! Done that, just connect the PSU and VGA again, but any of the panel connectors and use again the short 2 Pwr Pins to start. If does, connect the Pwr connector to the yellow pins and try to start, and do the some after that for any of the other connectors. Just as a guideline, use only to connect 1 connector/cable at the time and start the MB. It's a bit slow, just that way easy to find out if there any other problems!

Hope that helps.

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try a different monitor.. likely vid and monitor issues.. is monitor set to VGA not DVI or HDMI ? try older monitor ..

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    did you install the stand-offs in your pc case before you installed the motherboard, and are they all in the proper locations?