August 2 release

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by enotar, Jul 21, 2016.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally true!

BUT: We didn't know yet how MS will handle that 'testing' with the builds 14383 - 14393! I haven't read anything about that yet, and I searches a lot for that! If YOU have any valid proof from Microsoft directly, everybody will be happy the see and read that, include I!! So if so, please come forward with that!

The simple fact is, as mentioned many times on this forum, that Activation of Windows 10 is HWID based, in two different way:
    1. with Generic Product Key for Insiders
    2. with Legit Product Key for regular customers!

It would be an easy step for Microsoft for to just carry on with that way! A not existing Expiry Date for the Insider didn't really mean that those will never expire, or if it not expires, it could or would upgrade to the next build again without Expiry Date! And that's what may happen: If an Insider upgrades the 'unlimited' build to the next new Upgrade with Expiry Date, that would come back in effect!

As precaution, I simply would wait what REALLY would be happen and not spread any assumption around which maybe could be proven totally wrong in a short period of time (after the July 29. 2016!)!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Keys still exist, even for consumer versions. Digital Entitlement is an Addition. Currently, it's very prominent for the "free"* upgrade.

*But nothing ever comes free, right?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Also with a genuinely and store-bought key/oem system-builder or retail key, windows will act the same so why not get it thru the free upgrade offer ;)

5. enotar

enotar MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2011
    #25 enotar, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    (OP)
    thank you all for this discussion but :
    I have a Windows Bios oem Key I am pretty sure it is from my original windows 8 or windows 8.1installed in my lap when received. I found it with productkey finder software. I think version was home but allowed me to insider with pro.
    That doesn't work with windows 10 pro insider as it use to; doesn't accept the key
    What version should I inside from insider. I cannot reinstall original 8 or 8.1 because my Lenovo came with no CD and key in the bios.
    There is nothing more than pro for insider right now.....

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You could do a clean install with the 10586 Multiple Editions iso and it will install Home and oem activates it.

7. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    If you install say Win 10 Pro, it uses a generic key that lets you install it BUT that key WILL NOT Activate Win 10. All copy's of Win 10 Pro use same generic key. Yes there are Win 10 Retail Keys that you can buy, but Win 10 hasn't had individual Keys since July 2015.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The oem:Dm key will activate the original version of 8.x/10, in this case Home.

I'm a bit tired to keep on typing the full explanation to get pro HWID activated on a 8.x/10 home oem:Dm key based system.

There a many posts containing the info to establish it :)

9. enotar

enotar MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2011
    #29 enotar, Jul 23, 2016
    (OP)
    I understand your point but I don't have windows 8.1 home in my pc anymore so I cannot reinstall, recovery part is gone.
    I am stuck
    I have a clean hardrive and Microsoft don't offer place to download windows 8.1 EM to download anymore

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #31 Bat.1, Jul 23, 2016
  11. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    received Email from MS Has every one received this ?

Hello ,about ten days earlier I installed win 8.1 , activated with legit Retail win 8 key then installed win 10 got it activated .ok so far But the moment it is connected to net , kid need info for school from google search , win grab the connection and starts downloading it's update. i shut down the net to save money. I have used cc cleaner to remove most of metro apps..
    Now I got this Email from MS about fine print the agreement to use those apps. here is the Text :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft

Your Services Agreement and Privacy Statement made clearer
    You’re receiving this email because we are updating the Microsoft Services Agreement, which applies to one or more Microsoft products or services you use. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover additional Microsoft products, services and features.
    The Microsoft Services Agreement is an agreement between you and Microsoft (or one of its affiliates) that governs your use of Microsoft consumer online products and services.
    Here are some of the most notable changes to the Microsoft Services Agreement:
    • Coverage for additional services (like GroupMe and Group Messaging) and new functionality and features for covered services (like Skype, Bing and our Rewards program)
    • Clarifications that your work or school account is covered by different terms
    • Notice that Xbox now requires that you sign in at least every 5 years to keep your gamertag active
    • Explanation of data storage limits for OneDrive and factors that could affect syncing and uploading to OneDrive services
    You can read the entire Microsoft Services Agreement here. You can also learn more about these updates on our FAQ page here. The updates to the Microsoft Services Agreement will take effect on Septe?mber 15, 20?16. If you continue to use our products and services on or after Septem?ber 15, 20?16, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement.
    We are also updating the Microsoft Privacy Statement. These updates are described on our FAQ page here, and are effective as of August 2, 2016.
    If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before these terms become effective. If you are a parent or guardian, you are responsible for your child’s or teenager’s use of Microsoft products and services, including purchases.
    Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

Please explain this to me kindly. Thanking you all >

12. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    The OneDrive part is nothing new. What part of the rest of the notice are you concerned about? These get sent out fairly frequently to most of us. Likely those with us with some sort of M$ account (Mine is the IP program and Outlook.com).

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012