AVG Uninstall bricked my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WITB, Jan 9, 2020.

1. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    #21 WITB, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    (OP)
    X543 I believe was the motherboard model.
    I'm not sure what you're insinuating here but if you think I made this post just to bash AVG, then you're wrong.
    I'll post a picture of the sticker on the back of the laptop when I get a chance.
    My apologies, I just noticed my aging eyes posted the wrong info earlier.

2. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    #22 LittlePro, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dileepkv

dileepkv MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2008
    Dear friend,

AVG Uninstall making your OS un-bootable should in no way hinder your ability to boot from any sort of recovery media like USB Flash drive or CD/DVD.
    As someone suggested earlier, your BIOS settings are not compatible with the recovery media that you created.

Please create a bootable disk using Rufus. You can try Win 7 repair disc, Win 7 ISO or any other 3rd party recovery solution.
    While creating the bootable disk using Rufus, please try both of the options below and see which one works for you:

1. MBR Partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI.
    2. GPT Partition scheme for UEFI. Make sure that you try the GPT Partition scheme for UEFI using an ISO file that is 64 bit (x64).

4. WITB

WITB MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2012
    So after burning a Windows 7 install disk from the ISO link Littlepro posted, it still wouldnt boot.
    To make a long story short, i reset all of the BIOS settings to defaults again and still no luck.
    Updated BIOS from 07 to 10 and i was able to boot the Win 7 DVD and get into the repair.
    Before i could reach the system restore option, it said it had detected a startup problem.
    It repaired the startup problems and i was finally able to boot per normal to the desktop.
    Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Thanks or not thanks, it doesn't matter much, more importantly it's not the solution to the problem you did.
    It's about the same as the ostrich hiding head under the sand and then thinking that no one can see him.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Seems he fixed it by running startup repair from the booted Win 7SP1 DVD > repair my computer > startup repair.