Back at square one...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spiderdan, Mar 30, 2010.

1. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    You don't have a System Reserved because you installed Windows 7 on an already partitioned disk, so all the boot and recovery files are stored in the C: drive itself. Windows 7 installer creates a system reserved partition on a raw disk only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. frisbee66

frisbee66 MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    @masterdisaster
    I went back and reread the OP's post, and this time noticed the GRUB partition
    So that explains that - heh

@ timesurfer
    I like you.
    I have been noticing you are the MDL "friendly" helper - trying very hard to assist people and doing it without any "attitude"
    ;)

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    OK, that makes sence then. I was just curious. Thanks for clearing that up

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I just wanted to point out that normally only four PRIMARY partitions are allowed, but there's no such limit of only four partitions in general. I currently have two Primary partitions (Windows 7's boot partition and an old XP partition), and three Logical partitions (two Windows 7 and a Data partition). I used to have many more partitions than that (2 XP, 2 Vista, and 2-3 Windows 7, when beta testing Windows 7).

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    If you are referring to the number of partitions, yes you are correct but some people have reported issues when they had more then 4 on one drive. I know for a fact that back in the IDE days that was the limit no exceptions. I would believe now that with SATA as the new age or SSD you don't have to worry about it but like I said I have known people that had a SATA 2.0 drive like I do and they had issues with 5 partitions on that same drive.

6. spiderdan

spiderdan MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2010
    Finally got back into my original account. Don't know what the deal was but all's good now. MasterDisaster found the fix. Setting System Reserved to active did the trick. After that, Daz's loader worked fine. Slic tools says alls good and I no longer get the genuine windows nags. Thanks to all for their comments and help! I have a feeling my original method never added slic tables. When I tried to re-do last night I wasn't getting one (by slic tools). Also, it turns out that the serial I originally posted was from Daz. Apparently it got as far as changing the serial, just never added slic tables. I suppose its also possible that the oem serial I was originally using was blocked, just don't know why I couldn't get tables again. Regardless, things are working great now! One thing I am wondering, what exactly is the active partition? I thought maybe it was synonymous with boot, but I'm still booting GRUB first (which is good, just wonder how I can set System Reserved to active and still boot GRUB first.). Thanks again guys!

7. frisbee66

frisbee66 MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009