Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2016

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Katzenfreund, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #2 Joe C, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    I've never had much luck with Seagate drives myself, although through time I've lost a couple WD's along the way too. Some people do not like the Backblaze results because they do use consumer drives in an enterprise environment, stating this is not a reliable way to judge hard drives

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I don't present the OP results as the definite reference, just one more source of stats to keep in mind. One's opinion should be formed over time by cumulatively considering several such results, as well as from personal experience.

Personally, I don't have high opinion of Seagate, not of WD either, but had good lives from Hitachi and Toshiba. And coincidentally or not, the above results support me.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I've heard a number of complaints about Seagate drives dying prematurely and running hot.
    I've had better luck with Western Digital, but for laptops, Toshiba and Hitachi drives seem to hold up well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    imho.....platter drives are not good for laptops, this is where SSD's shine because some of these drives can take a hard hit (g force) that would normally kill a platter drive, and I personally don't know of too many peeps that have never dropped a laptop. Also, they don't use much power and don't get as hot comparatively

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: I completely agree.

7. PCBONEZ

PCBONEZ MDL Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Since March 2012 (~ a year before that study started) HGST has been wholly owed by Western Digital.

8. PCBONEZ

PCBONEZ MDL Member

Mar 10, 2012
    At least in my case that's not the reason for the beef.

It's a fine way to judge consumer grade drives, but I don't use consumer grade drives so their study doesn't help me at all.

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It's interesting to note that, despite the above results, Western Digital remains world's No. 1 HDD supplier (by my Google search). So I wonder how many people take into account reliability when they buy a drive.

10. PCBONEZ

PCBONEZ MDL Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Me too. WD Enterprise drives. Specifically RE Series. (REx - 1,2,3,4)
    I've been using them since the SB Series was in production.
    SB was WD's IDE Enterprise class drives and the forefather of the RE series.

11. PCBONEZ

PCBONEZ MDL Member

Mar 10, 2012
    That study only looks at consumer class drives and a large part of WD's business is NAS and Enterprise class drives.
    WD's overall market share (all drive products) doesn't correlate directly to the study.

I think this is something that comes with experience. Probably a bad one where data was lost.