Background Program In Taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Shadow21, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Shadow21

Shadow21 MDL Junior Member

May 13, 2010
    For some reason when I have MSN Messenger or VLC Media Player running in the background it will show up in the Taskbar and the Notification Area. I don't have the interface open for either of the two programs but they still show up in the Taskbar.

Is there any way to remove them from the Taskbar while still keeping them open in the background and in the Notification Area?

2. luca1985

luca1985 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    For MSN Messenger you can just right click the shortcut and under "Properties -> Compatibility" chose to run as compatible to Windows Vista SP 2. It's behavior will be like in vista, so when you close all windows it will stay just in the tray.

For VLC must be the same but I'm not sure since I don't use it.

Good Luck

3. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    vlc under preferences>interface uncheck systray icon. i don't know if it's the same under windows but that's how it works in ubuntu

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Since Windows gave the option to "pin" shortcuts to the task bar lots of program developers decided this would be a good idea and set this option for you without asking.

Most provide an option to turn this "feature" off - some don't - those I uninstall as I will not tolerate someone else telling me how to arrange my system.

So look through options and you will almost certainly find one that "pins" the shortcut to the taskbar and turn it off. Obviously this option is only available in 7 as this feature is only available in 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Shadow21

Shadow21 MDL Junior Member

May 13, 2010
    That worked for MSN Messenger but not VLC.

I'd like to be able to minimize VLC to the notification area only and not have it show up on the taskbar.