Backing-up Linux systems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Mutoid, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I am trying to find Linux backup tools that I like and trust.

I've always used Aomei or Macrium for Windows and never had problems.

As I understand things , Timeshift is essentially a Linux equivalent of System Restore in Windows

BackInTime gave me lots of hassle .... took ages to create the backup , and even longer to delete it !

Many of these Linux backup tools appear to be graphical front ends for rsync .... is that correct ?

I've used Clonezilla , and my current system is backed-up with that , but I haven't tested a restore from it.
    Likewise with Redo ... very simple and straightforward to use but again untested for restore.

I've read some good things about Aptik .... has anybody tried this ?

It's next on my list for "road-testing ".

Update -
    Aptik backs up all apps and settings for Ubuntu based distros
    - it is not a full system back-up tool .... pretty handy though !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I've only ever used Macrium Reflect for Windows systems and its always delivered without issue.
    Aptik sounds like a really good program. I think Timeshift is a full system backup, I could be wrong. For a clean install and have all apps and settings restored Aptik sounds like the one. I'll be sure to check it out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    For full system backups I allways use True Image. I got a 2014 HD version for free comming with a 5 Euro SSD mounting device. :) Has no problems with any Windows/Linux version and has the best compression of all image backups I have tested. As a free alternative I would recommend AOMEI Backupper. Never liked Macrium Reflect because of its very slow speed and compression.

4. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Another vote for Acronis True Image Home 2014. When run from a usb flash drive, it has never failed to reliably backup and restore my Linux Mint 17.3, Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Pro triple boot laptop. All OS's on a single SSD. I prefer having one solution to a problem. Others my not, but I do.

5. hoselottrich

hoselottrich MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2015
    I don't like backup tool - just take all data which is important and copie to external drive. Systems and softwares can be new installed.

6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Did a restore from a 17.2 backup ( internal tools) of just the root partition and it error'd out - rebooted and press "F" for fix made it boot but still have update manager FUBAR'd - says up to date but not even kernel showing...

7. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I have used Clonezilla for restoring Linux systems, it works well, of course with its limitations !

8. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Situations like yours are one of the reasons I started this thread Superfly.

I've been backing-up windows systems for years , but only recently started looking for Linux backup strategies.

I think of backups like motorcycle helmets .... I don't want to find out the hard way that what I have doesn't work :)

9. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yup I agree, We need to find a solid solution...Aptik works great for apps/settings but what we need is a full image restore that works...

10. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    @Superfly

I just had a thought .... ( yeah I know , it's a bad habit ! )

When you did your problem backup , how was the target drive / partition formatted ?

11. thorin0815

Jul 16, 2015

As I said before, True Image is probably the best solution for full image backups. I'm doing backups like every 2 days and never had any problems restoring them. Unfortunately True Image is no freeware, but sometimes its worth to spend some bucks for your safety. ;)

Old 2014 versions should be pretty low priced at ebay.

12. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
  13. thorin0815

Jul 16, 2015
    Tried it with Windows 10 GPT partitions some months ago, destroyed em while restoring. :)

14. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    There are loads of good windows image apps but I'm referring to running it from within Linux (and not via a live boot) - I note Acronis has a Linux server version... has anyone tried that?

15. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #15 Mutoid, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    (OP)
    ... my edit above ^ ....

Yes to that Superfly !

That's what I'm talking about !

To anyone reading this thread :-

Have you successfully restored a Linux system backup , to the exact same state as when you saved it ?

How did you make and restore that backup ?

What software was used , and please give details of the backup target drive
    [ eg type of external drive ; entire drive or partition ? ; and how did you format ? ]

All contributions will be much appreciated :worthy:

16. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #16 Superfly, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  17. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #17 Mutoid, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    (OP)
    Thanks for your post Superfly.

I've been using Macrium 6.1 for Windows backups for some time , and of course , I made a rescue disk , but I've never tried it with Linux

I'm a little puzzled by a point you make in your post re Linux.

If I can't choose Ext4 as a format for the backup , how could I restore a fully working Linux system ?

Looking at your excellent customized Grub screen , am I right in thinking that you are using Macrium to backup an entire dual-boot system ?
    .... all in one go , to an NTFS partition ?

And have you tried a full restore from that backup ?

Thanks again

Mutoid

18. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yup, it works the same as running it from Windows.

The image saved to an NTFS partition makes no difference as Macrium restores the partitions contained therein, be they ext or NT.

19. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I've used Macrium 6 successfully to back up a Linux system. Macrium makes a bit-for-bit image of the disk, so it doesn't (probably) matter which OS is on the disk. Keep in mind that if you image a Linux disk with Macrium, you won't be able to browse the image like you can with a Windows image. So, create your Macrium boot medium - CD/DVD or USB - boot with that medium, choose Backup > Image Selected Disks, then follow the prompts and you'll have a drive image that can be restored using the same Macrium boot device.

20. kexanoid

kexanoid MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2010
    #20 kexanoid, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    I can't post links :beee:
    www_terabyteunlimited_com/downloads-image-for-linux.htm

I use it for M$ Windows, GNU/Linux etc. (MBR/GPT disks/partitions, BIOS/UEFI systems, ~61 MB LiveBoot.ISO file) :biggrin:
    Multiboot HDD <=> SSD tested (NTFS+NTFS+ext2+ext4+ext4+swap). Not only bit-to-bit mode, FS used space, pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys ignore and more...