Backing-up Linux systems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Mutoid, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kexanoid

kexanoid MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2010
    exactly this :tasty:

3. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #24 Mutoid, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    (OP)
    I can't see how a Windows backup tool ( Drivesnapshot ) is going to backup a Linux system - o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I was wondering the same thing, but if you read from the link:

5. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Thanks oldsh_t , but could you re-post that link ?

I can't click on it .

@Atari800XL

Thank you for those tips , I'll give it a try !

6. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Thanks for re-posting the link , oldsh_t , but I still can't find any reference to this on that page :-

" Supports Linux EXT2/3/4/Reiser/XFS "

7. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #29 TinMan, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  8. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    ????????????
    Capture_031.jpg

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    to add to this thread:

for live backing up (not live restoring), I use FSarchiver with QT4 frontend. it is hands down the best backup tool for linux/debian and i have not used anything else for years now. no other live backup program can compete with it. multiple cpus supported, multiple compression formats, and partition and directory backup and restore functions.

using it to restore however is a bit more complicated:
    it is imperative that one make a live cd of their linux install with FSarchiver and QT4 installed so that restoring can be done. when a linux partition is restored it has to be chroot'd to and the grub fixed, but otherwise a simple process to get your image booting.

for instance, with this software i have been able to preserve a x64 12.04 Ubuntu install from like 2011 that i've been using for android development that has certain particular packages installed that can no longer be found. and i've restored it to different hardware and got it to work--after much editing in chroot but still...

qt4-fsarchiver, get it and actually enjoy linux backups because dedupe and backintime suck

10. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  11. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
  12. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #35 stayboogy, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thank You Very Much Stayboogy !!
    As it happens, since Ubuntu Mate 16.04 has arrived, I am very likely to sway back to Ubuntu after my short Debian adventure.

I also have a strong dislike of GRUB2 no matter which flavour of Linux I use, and will most likely either be using GRUB-Legacy or something I just found called Grub2Win - once I get that part figured out.

My biggest problem with Grub Doctor has simply been...finding it !!
    Might you point me to where I can grab it somehow, please ??
    I would like to add it to my tools just in case I do stick with the original GRUB.

I did manage to locate & install Remastersys just recently, and I am hoping that will do a nice work of making an installable media from the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installation I put on my spare box - so that I can simply finish doing my changes to it there & then re-install it on my daily use PC all ready to go...

Of course I may also now try using Qt4-fsarchiver just to see how well it works as it is always good to have multiple ways to make good backups !!

Thanks, and Best Wishes.

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    A little late to the party, but I've been using Redo Backup and Recovery with near perfect success. I say near perfect because it took me a couple of tries to understand it needs to backup (or restore) the complete physical drive. Once I learned that lesson, it's worked flawlessly.

Not the most sophisticated program but it's simple and it works. I've used it on both Windows and Linux installations and had no problems.

15. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #38 smallhagrid, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Even later still to this long-lived topic...I enjoy trying out new distros, tweaking them a bit as I like, then if one is REALLY good, move it from my 'play box' for more regular usage.
    Cloning the desired OS, if you will.

I've tried several lately on a beater NB I have, and blew most of them off - but did finally get Linux Mint working and immediately adored Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and wanted to clone each to a separate HDD for further uses.
    The old NB booted fine into each OS, but since I hate using a NB & prefer a desktop PC t'was time to try cloning.

Enter the HDD to USB adapter and a couple of older HDDs.
    Fired up Ubuntu Mate, then gParted, cleaned off the existing partitions, and did the following:
    Copied Mint's partitions on to the external HDD, then removed it & rebooted into Mint.
    Copied Ubuntu's stuff on to the other HDD, then shut it all down.

Connected the 1st clone to the desktop PC and of course it needed some help - so booted from Boot-Repair-Disk and let it do its thing.
    5 minutes later I was looking at a perfect clone of Mint, all nice & easy.

Tried the same with the Ubuntu Mate clone - and sadly that one had a kernel panic, so I'm off to see how I'll solve that, but for now I am already quite satisfied to have gotten this far in easily moving a good running Linux OS to another PC.

OK - all fixed now.
    Somehow the kernel had been updated...badly.
    Just to see if it helped, I told it to b normally with the older kernel and that works perfectly.
    Now all I have to do is remember how to remove the excess kernel stuff and it is all good.