[Batch] Extract and prepare Office MSP files

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by hearywarlot, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It has proofing but Z_proof2016_kb3141509_x64_proof-x-none.msp contains all the languages and the iso contains the base for the needed companion languages, so prolly Z_proof2016_kb3141509_x64_proof-x-none.msp updates all needed companion langs :)

2. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    That is nice to know, I will remember that, thanks.

Btw, I have updated the code.
    Now the variables langOfMSP and ProofLang can be left empty (they will still ask you, if they are not set).
    Hope that solved this issue :).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It confirmed my findings about the language settings not needed for office 2016 updates :)

Enne, bedankt :):)

4. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Graag gedaan ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    @Enthousiast

the script is mainly useful for Office 2010, due the nature of separate lang patches

Office 2013 RTM had same situation, but SP1 patches ended that and it follows the model of aio neutral patch (except proofing and lync help)

Office 2016 proofing only became neutral this year, it was multiple patches before

thanks @hearywarlot
    you should have my avatar :D

6. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #26 hearywarlot, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    (OP)
    Update: Made some minor changes and fixes to the script.
    • You can now pass options in any order without being prompted to enter the data.
    • Because of Office 2016 being language neutral, "langOfMSP" and "Prooflang" are now optional.
    • Included credit and link to this thread at the end of the script.
    • Will list which EXE files failed to extract folders.
    Hope that fixes all the bugs and mistakes I left behind.

I also updated the Usage in the first post to reflect the changes.

Nah, I am quite fond of my current avatar :).
    It looks so cozy and full of terror, just as I like it.

7. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #27 hearywarlot, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
    Update: I did an accident :wacko::
    • At the MSP lang check, I accidentally did not add '!' around "nameOfMSP", making lang checks fail... I fixed this now.
    • Made the script now only accept EXE files with a Office update naming convention such as "*-*-*-*-*.exe".
    I hope this fixes the rest of my mistakes (With the exception of caring for most of humanity)...
    If you see any other mistakes, don't hesitate to post it :).

Also forgive me if I wasted your time because of this mistake (ah don't hit me there)...
    Luckily though you can make a small script and do batch jobs by calling this script using options multiple times, so that should make it up?

8. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #28 hearywarlot, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    (OP)
    Fixed some mistakes and added new features:
    • Script will now move out old MSP files to folder of choice as it copies your newer in.
    • Now has a additional parameter for configuring where old MSP files go to.
    • Will skip moving file if already exists at destination.
    • If a Office KB file does not contain any MSP files corresponding with your choice, the script will tell you (eg, imeloc2010).
    • Command Prompt window will resize and increase buffer a good bit to fit the onslaught of text, so you can read easier.
    • Replaced URL in script with URL to this thread, forgot it still linked to abbodi1406's post.
    A question, is it maybe better to make moving old MSP's optional, and why?
    As to having multiple versions, I do not see a point, but maybe I am missing some knowledge about that.

Thanks in advance.

9. Dr.Emuler

Dr.Emuler MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2012
    i want to donate, how can i do?

10. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Hello Dr.Emuler,

I did not write this script with donations in mind.
    Me writing it was more of a way of learning to script better and create my own style and trying to contribute so everybody seeking this solution has the ultimate tool.
    I don't mind your donation/gift, but do know it won't speed up development on this script, since it's pretty much already finished (some polishing can be applied anytime though).

Though, I have never gotten a donation or accepted money from someone unknown over the internet, so I can not say.