Best Anti Virus and some more Tips

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by dssdasad123, Mar 13, 2016.

1. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Used a driver CD to install a router..... mmmm OK

I see where the backdoor is, and I believe it has been left open, and the horse bolted, long ago

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???? There some devices, include modems and routers, which coming with an so named Driver CD/DVD and even, instead of any driver having some Manual, Apps and whatsoever on it?! Cisco, as example!

Oh, I forget, what someone think shouldn't be (for him/her), couldn't be for others too!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    All the problems are located between the chair and the screen.
    Use your brain! Don't click any of the "exe" file you don't know or received by email.

Windows defender will do the job if you are careful.

Since windows 8, i use only WD without any problem.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. grumpee

grumpee MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    great for looking at mainstram web pages
    how about streaming, downloading, torrents etc hmmmmmm?

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Fact is: the computer isn't intelligent, the computer does only what he got said to do! And WHO tell's the computer WHAT to do? WE, the user's!

I don't have any AV, Anti-***** whatsoever running! And don't have such problem as reported here often! I just have my Smoothwall and that's it. Every few week's I just do a full scan on my machines, and 98% of the time it's just lose of time, because the system are clean!

6. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    grumpee i download minimum 10/20 torrent every day (program and movie). I watch streaming video and i download also program .... WITHOUT any problem.

If i'm not sure about something i don't do it.

Lievre

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Your brain, my brain anyone's brain won't suffice. :tea:
    Hopefully someday you (people in general) won't open a pdf with a payload: cryptoware (ransomware).

8. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I agree. IMHO, we also need an antivirus program (in my case Windows Defender or avast Free) and a firewall (my case: Windows Firewall Control or Codomo Firewall).

By default, we should have our browsers updated and install adblockers for browsers.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Wrong. Sandboxie can actually protect you even from a ransomware. This is why I use SBIE everyday, anything I open or runs, it's sandboxed. There are PoCs on security forums, especially at malwaretips.com
    How do you know it's bad for you? Just by intuition? Not bad to use it but is not scientific or technical whatsoever. How do you know? Because it is from a trusted source or it "looks" inoffensive? Hmm :g:
    The most careful guy can get infected, pure logic. Otherwise you need to be in constant stress examining every link you click. For me it's a waste of time putting such efforts on that. Rather I go for Sandboxie.
    Note that I am not advertising Sandboxie. It's just the sandboxing technology I use and know as best in its class. There are some other brands, never tried though. There you go: Shade, SafenSec, SecuBrowser, SurfCanister.

As a side note: I also don't believe in antiviruses programs for daily and real-time monitoring, just for a sporadic drive scan...

10. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Avira Free is quite nice, I'm using it since Windows 95 times. Very few false positives with it and allmost no impact on the system performance at all.

11. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    #31 potjevleesch, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    don't you dare talk about my brain, you don't know it ! :p