Best Anti-Virus Application

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Carel, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
  2. bullocks

bullocks MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    I've used NOD32, Bitdefender 2010, and Avast.

I'd probably order it:

Bitdefender 2010
    NOD32
    Avast

in terms of preference. Bitdefender is very good at detection. NOD32 and Avast both have good interfaces, but some things get past Avast and also when i had it i got a few false positives.

3. levyjackob

levyjackob MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    I tested :Norton 2010 ,bitdefender2010 and kaspersky 2010
    It appears for me that Norton 2010 is the best :it's simple to use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Hence "performance tests", so your point is?

5. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I have used NOD32 for 5 years. I love the fact that I don't even feel there is an antivirus on my system, yet I never ever got a virus!

NOD32 gives j00 teh b3$t of both worlds......the best performance + the highest security!

and for everyone that recommended Norton antivirus here, I have tried it personally as I heard alot of good things about Norton lately and how it got improved and its very light on resources, so I decided to give it a go...... my system boot time immediately increased from 70 seconds to 110 seconds :eek: and the system felt very sluggish. When I complained to the members on the notebookreview forums about this, they said give Norton some time, it needs to scan all your system first then only it will be fast, and i'm thinking......what does that have to do with boot times? heh.......uninstalled it immediately. NOD32 works outo f teh box thank u ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I tried Eset (nod32) V4. It has a great AV engine, nobody is denying that, but as far as an overall security software...well that's a different story. Weak firewall, weak features, no HIPS, etc.
    Eset does have nice performance though, although I'm amused to hear a 40 second increase in boot time from switching to Norton (if 2009 or 2010).

Virus.gr, Av-comparatives, matousec, etc leads me to the logical conclusion that as far as "Highest Security", Eset doesn't do the job.

7. Moosestache

Moosestache MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    I think most people would consider the performance of a virus protection program how well it performs its job, which would include the speed it works, its detection rate, as well as its false detection rates. Not solely how fast it works. The thread is what is the best anti-virus program. The site you referenced picked Norton as #1, you cherry picked one of its tests and said Kaspersky was picked #1, which was a bit misleading.

8. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Contesting with you is like contesting with a wall, it's pointless.

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Oh, what a pointless discussion. You like X, fine, you like Y, fine. Use what you like, what you can afford, what you can get for free.
    The "Best" in this category is rather subjective statement

sebus

10. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I think little panda cloud av is the best of all. On the other hand, I hate nod32 because its official website blocks me from downloading the trial files.

11. Grem135

Grem135 MDL Member

Sep 15, 2009
    They always change.....

Antivirus software changes constantly. years ago Mcafee was the best then came fat32...(Win95b) lots of peeps 'puters were fooked. including mine. thats when I changed to Norton and it worked great. I stopped using Norton several years ago due its bloat non user friendly interface and currently use Nod32 but have started getting more false positives with it lately.
    Guess now I'll use this threads recommendations to test a few others...

12. Pooh the Pirate

Pooh the Pirate MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    The best antivirus is a free antivirus. Detection rates are relative just get a VB100 certified one and you're good to go.

13. vindsstar

vindsstar MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2009
    Avast is better anti-virus as my experiences with lots of anti-viruses like kaspersky, Norton, eset, mcafee, avira, avg, bit-defender.
    Avast with an anti spy-ware environment provides maximum secure environment. :cool:

14. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    the only problem I ever had with avast is it used to detect a virus in the pagefile,but thats no longer a problem