Best Anti-Virus Application

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Carel, Dec 20, 2009.

1. st_7

st_7 MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i or 8.7i(latest) is very good, it has less false detections, can be used with decent configuration system.

2. AnnetteGlamour

AnnetteGlamour MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2010
    Best Anti Virus Application

Id say even if you are very careful it is still worth running a decent Anti-Virus with like Krikkit mentions, a resident shield.

With computers getting faster and faster the small amount of resources they use doesnt affect performance in any noticable way and not running an Anti-Virus is still a risk, no matter how careful you are.

3. RedSpider

RedSpider MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Use whatever antivirus software that works best for Your computer or home network. Bottom line, a layered defense is best to keeping viruses from ever reaching your system. Security activated on OPEN DNS, an activated Stealth firewall on my 2WIRE modem and an up to date Norton 2010 Security package works great for my small home network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Does anyone use Panda Free AV actually? It's free and is using cloud computing technology, with the most powerful detection I think, because every time I download things from the Internet, little panda will quickly delete the file if it's with virus, block the program if it's suspicious and report to me immediately.

I think it's a better av for user who always download things from the Internet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Kaspersky Antivirus.. rock solid..

6. leoair55

leoair55 MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    For me Avast!

7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I use avast too, a completely new version (version 5) is coming out very soon and it has a much better user interface, much faster scan times, among other new features. A beta version is available, but I wouldn't recommend it because it is beta, the beta is quite old, and there are no definition updates for it.

Keeping Windows and applications up to date is also vitally important, and that includes things like Office, and even Adobe Reader, with 9.3 being released recently which has security updates in it.

On the topic of Adobe Reader, I recommend disabling all the crap that comes with it in terms of what stays in the memory. Adobe reader loads so quick the speedup programme is next to useless, and with 9.3 it installs another memory resident application.

I recently installed Yahoo Messenger and that was a stupid thing. It installed toolbars, changed my homepage, added a menu 'yahoo' to firefox that the uninstall didn't remove, and not to mention had about 4 things loaded in the memory EVEN when the whole application was closed! (even from the system tray). That combined with all the stuff that comes with Itunes, and the arcsoft crap that comes with my tv tuner cards, the slowdown on the system would probably be greater than the slowdown caused my on-demand scanning, and they're all useless things!

I'd be more worried about other unneeded programmes and services that come with these apps (Adobe Reader 9.3, Itunes, Yahoo, etc) than any potential slowdown caused by a resident antivirus!

8. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Kaspersky IS is fine but I like little panda's small size more.

9. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2009
    I've always liked avast. Something about that little "a" spinning in the system tray makes me feel secure. :D

10. MDL1

MDL1 MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    I too am looking for an AV app for win7, do all of these work perfectly with the 64bit?

really, I keep hearing this, but what do most people consider little resources?

right now I have it running on xp pro sp3 and in the task manager I see:

ashdisp.exe 7mb
    ashmaisv.exe 2mb
    ashserv.exe 35mb
    ashwebssv.exe 87mb
    aswupdsv.exe 0.5mb

this is idle, 5 running using about 120MB, and maybe other services its hooked on to?
    not sure, is this light?

There's options before you install to disable all those extras. I never just press "next, next" anymore, usually software now lets you untick toolbars, homepages etc

Also uninstalled adobe reader long time ago, and use foxit, which seems ok, maybe theres an even better free alternative now too.

I used to use nod2.7, which was so light, quick and accurate, but then when v3 came, so many said that it was far from the usual nod was, so I didn't try it out.

I am hoping to use one with the win7 firewall, is this ok, or is a separate firewall a must?

11. killer47

killer47 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    hi,
    i am always suggest KASPERSKY or bitdefender.
    this two are better performance and also cheaper compare to norton.
    if you want freeware try use 'Avira Antivir'

12. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
  13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Well, you will like Avast even more now! Version 5 has been officiially released (check on their website). It is massively different (although the installl looks the same). The UI is far superior to the old one, and now the free registration can be done from within the programme.

Avast 5 is supposed to be much faster than the old one, be more effective in detecting viruses etc, and also include an anti-rootkit as part of the free version :)

If you've tried Avast in the past and didn't like it, I recommend you check it out again, you won't recognise it as the same programme!

14. irqbw81

irqbw81 MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    im using 90days trial of norton internet security 2010..so amazing and inteligent piece of software when it comes to security. :)

15. Tatletz

Tatletz MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2010
    #56 Tatletz, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    I have used Eset Smart Security, BitDefender Total Security 2010 and Vipre Antivirus Premium(all cracked) and was really happy how they all worked. Never had a single complaint. Currently my machine is protected by Kaspersky Internet Security 2011(activated with crack for 3700 days-lol) and I am having a total piece of mind :worthy:. Highly recommend it!

16. trance89

trance89 MDL Member

Oct 29, 2010
    im using MSE now about a year and im very satisfied with it, best free av

17. kOksnase

kOksnase MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2010
    symantec endpoint protection.v11

18. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Exactely my choice! Love it!

19. bluesman27

bluesman27 MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2010
    I like the chicks voice on Avast...