BEST AV in your OP

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by solidblaze, Dec 25, 2016.

1. RenesisXI

RenesisXI MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    Avast Free with tweaks.

2. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Then there would have been no 'need' for any "AV Companies" to be established in the first place.:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Any thoughts on Emsisoft?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    I recommend to stick with MSE/Defender but 360 Total Security/Essentials works great.

5. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
  6. Egza

Egza MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2017
    Hi Folks,

For everyone who is using Malwarebytes as a main and only antivirus on Windows, please be aware that it does not target scripted malware, document files, media files. It is incapable of removing malicious code that has been prepended or injected into legitimate files (i.e. file infectors, Trojan patches) and does not handle legacy malware. You should use main antivirus like BitDefender, Emisoft, 360 Total, Avira or anything else and Malwarebytes as an additional layer of protecion from time to time. It is only my opinion, I'm waiting for your thoughts. I would like also to ask, why most of the admins on Bleeping website use Emisoft as a primary AV? I can't see Emisoft anywhere as a top antivirus. What is the catch?

Best Regards
    Eg

7. iee

iee MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2017
    eset 32 very best

8. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    is it possible to inject malware in media files and docs?

9. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    yeah me too, when I register from Dubai (where I live) any post I make says awaiting moderation approval and never gets approved

I had to create another account from a Romanian IP, then my posts were approved and stayed that way

they are racists it seems and the mods will not reply to you if you PM them asking why your account is not fully activated

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Phoenix, et.al : Why would you go there when you have MDL?

Unless, of course you have specific questions about the products hosted there.

11. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    well they seem more focused on security products.

the funny thing is, if you make a thread like which AV shall I use or AV X vs AV XX, they will lock the topic! you are right! what a useless forum

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    It is against the rules there, because topics like that will just end by users posting, what they are using.
    You can post a topic AVx vs AVxx, if you include details, like the best in detection, performance or so.

But I have to agree, it is a factual forum, I had posts with emotions removed, not allowed. :shutup3:

13. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Phoenix: I'm sure they have their reasons. Personally, I wish them no ill. But to me, MDL would be the place where you could and would have an open conversation about any and all AV products, including theirs.

We could have a more candid discussion here, as opposed to doing it there and possibly 'ruffling any feathers'.

14. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  15. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Windows Defender + Malwarebytes (free) + Comodo Firewall.

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    well for me I think that simply things get me protected:Windows Firewall very good configured, attention when navigating, no clicking in anything sometimes strange; user need have good sense avoid download files from unknow sources and so on only my 2 cents ;)

17. Korvar

Korvar MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2016
    AVIRA (free or pro) + Malwarebytes (paid version - try to buy a perpetual license if you can find one), and they work well together (not always a given with two security products). The free version of Malwarebytes will work as an on-demand scanner, but the active protection provided by the paid version is worth it.

Although they are not anti-virus software, NoScript (free) and Windows Firewall Control ($10) are worth mentioning. NoScript is a browser extension for Firefox that prevents websites from running scripts unless given permission, which helps eliminate a primary vector of infections. Windows Firewall Control provides a better interface to the Windows firewall in order to create firewall rules. These products are optional because they require a much higher degree of active management (i.e. setting permissions) on the part of the user; many users do not have the knowledge nor the inclination to do so.

One can get away with not using an anti-virus if he knows what he is doing and is careful; that said, few people actually fall into this category. Personally, I find that it provides some peace of mind that plugging in a friend's flash drive into my system won't inadvertently infect my system, and it also allows me to help friends recover from infections by plugging in their HDD/SDD as an external drive and scanning/cleaning it offline. That said, once I convince people to use AVIRA + Malwarebytes, they stop calling me about virus infections.