Best Linux OS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by goodguy_adi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Best in terms of what ease of use or flexibility. For ease of use it's Linux Mint for flexibility it would probably be Gentoo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Best Linux OS

Hello folks,
    i too am trying my hands at Linux, i already have Ubuntu 11.4 and tried installing within windows, which went smooth.
    But what i am concerned is the drivers i'll be needing for my graphic card Nvidia Geforce , the Nvidia CD doesn't has one, OK no need, i will play games in XP. But i have Modem USB which is not recognized in Ubuntu. Bumer

I was thinking i could use the modem for safe browsing, i havn't tried other tools , but it feels cumbersome and i dont like the way how the mouse moves when i scroll. No big deal.

Their must be something people still like Linux may be 1.5 out of 10 person's do . But their has to be something in it.

I want to get the feel of Linux for once : but their are so many flavour and i dont know which to download. So i am asking any Linux users , which flavour is the most stable and versatile in feel and stability.
    The one that will recognise the USB drives and connecting to net is a breeze.

Any suggestion greatly welcomed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Linux Mint :cool:

4. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Any other flavours:

5. stevengw

stevengw MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2011
    #25 stevengw, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    Ubuntu is hard to beat. I have it on all my pc's with dual boot.
    The Nvidia graphics card will be recognized and you will be offered the install of nvidia linux drivers, if not goto nvidias site and download. I never have any issues with drivers in Ubuntu.

or try h*tp://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linuxgamers

6. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I like Kubuntu 11.4

Try PCLINUXOS

7. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I had trobbles with Kubuntu 10.4...now i installed Debian who 's looking cool..BTW here Ubuntu detects needed drivers automatically

8. Ronshere

Ronshere MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2011
    The best is JoliOS. Give it a try. You can download it to work alongside windows or as a standalone. Try the windows version. Jolios is cloud based. It is also now called Jolicloud instead of JoliOS bit its the same thing. A new version will be out this fall! Beats all the rest, I know I tried them!

9. Nichole Green

Nichole Green MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2011
    Now a days in market a lot of Linux Operating system are present like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Debian, LInuxMint, PCLinuxOS, Dream Linux and many more. You can choose among them and use the one which looks very much familiar for you... If you talk about the best operating system then it will vary from person to person as everyone have different requirements.

10. paullopez

paullopez MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2011
    I can't even count how many people argue with about this, yet they insist there is an operating system, which they like most than others … and that's it. I think its all depends on personal choice AND nothing else...

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek:Wow like Android and Windows Home Server all rolled into one :eek:

12. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Of all the Linux OS i tried, Dam small linux, Mint and ububtu : Ubuntu 11.04 looks very promising and user friendly compared to other OS's i.e., only in linux flavour.
    XP still rules no doubt.
    Has anyone tried Google OS.

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm not sure... may be some emulation layer is required to do so o_O

14. newmax07

newmax07 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2011
    for my i like cent os most

15. newmax07

newmax07 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2011
    did you tried cent os before ?? i think its great

16. wiwwtw

wiwwtw MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2011
    Try Debian 6.03:)

17. laynlow

laynlow MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2007
    I like Unbuntu a lot and that's what I'm using, but I installed Unbuntu 11.10 on a laptop and the wireless drivers would not work. So I d/l Fedora 15 and it picked up the wireless driver out of the box. I kept researching and found the fix for Ubuntu and my wireless drivers, but I was very impressed with Fedora working out of box.

18. archonx

archonx MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2011
    for me Redhat is the best linux ever created.

19. levyjackob

levyjackob MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    Fedora without question.Just wait for F-16 in 7 days (on 2011-11-08).