Best Linux OS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by goodguy_adi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. grml4d

grml4d MDL Junior Member

Sep 14, 2011
    i use mint or ubuntu for desktop , but i create some game server using grml , i made some for css , l4d and l4d2 , good point is that with a 4 Go pc i can load the whole server in the ram ;']
    that makes it very quick and cool

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Not natively

3. jhunz

jhunz MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2012
    I like suse because the themeplate is better..

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    JoliOS won't even start on my machine (HP pav. entertainment DV6) as Dual Boot, installed from within W7 Ult 64b.

Can't even uninstall it - grrrrrrrrrr........

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kuvanito

kuvanito MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2010
    hard to tell.i am problably the person that has tested most or every distro that comes through distrowatch.com and can tell you this if you are new to linux try Ubuntu,give a try to mint,zorin,fuduntu,bodhi and pear(one of my fav) i like shiny,glass looking things,moderm and latest tech,so Ubuntu 12.10 even thou it is still Alpha2 is my choice..... Unity+Docky.jpg

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Managed to unload the new OS and it's no longer in GRUB, through sheer perseverance, hehe...

Try iGolaware!!!:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. lousi

lousi MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2012
    I think Mint is really good!

8. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I've messed around with Ubuntu. It's alright until Unity. Debian is a pretty raw OS, sort of like uncooked dough. Fedora is like Debian. OpenSuse is average if you can tolerate KDE4 and Plasma crashing on a whim. I could go on like this for every major Linux distribution but I'll probably just recommend Linux Mint as the best experience Linux will ever offer.

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Try iGolaware and see...

10. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Try Deepin Linux it's a very nice distro at linuxdeepin.com

11. micky1punch

micky1punch MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I played with mint cinnamon, had a few graphics driver issues that I couldnt resolve as quickly as I could with ubuntu 12.04. (might have been my error as i was learning lots every day)

I've found I love the eye candy in gnome 3, and the unity environment, with the added stability, and long term support with the LTS releases (mint do the same i think).

I also found that being fairly new to linux, and removing windows completely (i just got sick of it one day) that ubuntu has a larger support community base than mint did, questions get answered quicker, and majority already have been answered as ubuntu has been around longer.

good thing is, put your home directory on a separate partition, then install a couple without losing anything whilst your testing, or run them from cd / usb stick.

If it wasnt for some of my work apps failing to run in wine, and that I refuse to run windows in a vm when im trying to move away from it completely, id have ubuntu , or possibly mint or some other distro on my lappy.

12. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    That's the one thing that will keep Linux from overtaking Windows is the software vendors not porting to Linux for me it's Quickbooks that keeps me hanging onto Windows but i am hoping that Steam's move to port to Linux may get others to follow especially with the impending release of the Windows 8 mess of an OS more people will take another look at Linux and OSX at least OSX has more software that will run on that platform.

13. xpvista7ubuntu

xpvista7ubuntu MDL Junior Member

Jul 14, 2012
    anyone tried chrome linux???:rolleyes:

14. WCCobra

WCCobra MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I tried the early releases of Chrome... really did not like it. I need a bit more than just a web browser and lame plugins.

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I agree. But it is perfect for someone wanting to use it for its intended purpose though. Life on teh interweb.

I triple boot, Linux Mint13-Cin, Fedora7, and BackTrack5 from an external 1TB drive. I've set the computer in the bios to boot the external (sdc) first and if I need windows I can selected it from the grub menu and it will boot to sda. Sdb is a 2TB drive I use for both windows and linux systems as a "repository".

As far as everyday use, I prefer Mint13, its esthetically pleasing enough for me haha

16. xpvista7ubuntu

xpvista7ubuntu MDL Junior Member

Jul 14, 2012
    adobe flash player seemingly has stopped supporting linux/ubuntu...does that mean youtube on ubuntu will not be possible???:confused:

>>>> " Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last native version for Linux " <<<<

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Shooting themselves in the foot, I think... Warring with everybody...

18. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010

Not entirely.

zdnet.com/blog/hardware/why-adobe-is-right-to-abandon-linux-why-its-no-big-deal-and-why-this-could-be-bad-for-mozilla/18425

19. WCCobra

WCCobra MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    It is still built into Chrome. And Youtube also has an html5 version