Best Linux OS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by goodguy_adi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Google Chrome will come with its own flash plugin (Pepper) or you can use Youtube's HTML5 trial or use Minitube.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    you mean minitube the one on tpb?:D

3. xpvista7ubuntu

xpvista7ubuntu MDL Junior Member

Jul 14, 2012
    linux mint has mate & mate no codecs...cinnamon & cinnamon no codecs...kde & xfce!!!

as a 1st time linux mint user which 1 should i get???

i am pretty familiar with ubuntu!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    iGolaware!

5. UtilityNerd

UtilityNerd MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2012
    I like crunchbang linux very light on the system and better for more advanced users

6. irlan

irlan MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    Linux Mint is Ubuntu derivative. So you can pick any Mint.
    Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and XFCE is the desktop environment.
    Codecs & no codecs is version with multimedia support. Using Mint with codecs means you can play multimedia files without installing codecs anymore. According to Linux Mint's web: No codecs is
    a version without multimedia support. For magazines, companies and distributors in the USA, Japan and countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software and distribution of restricted technologies may require the acquisition of 3rd party licenses.
    But missing codecs and extra applications can be installed later with a simple click of the mouse.

7. ozky

ozky MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    Yes it's true that adobe have been discontinued flash in linux and in few years in windows too because html5 taking flash player place it's fastern and less memory hungry than flash.

8. micky1punch

micky1punch MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Seems like a bit of a backwards step to me..

Ubuntu / mint for example, 2 distros getting more and more popular, ex windows users moving over due to the ease and more gui friendly install processes, and eye candy with gnome / unity etc.

Companies like valve are embracing it, porting over steam to ubuntu, very little in the way of software and hardware that struggles on linux these days...

I'll still never return to windows

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Great for one when one has the education and time to dedicate to being solely on Linux, being able to sort out the lack of drivers and whatnot. Most do not.

However, GUI and "eye candy" are NOT the only difference. It is the lack of functionality. Just about every app I have seen both in Win and Linux is a shadow of itself in Linux.

Certain aspects of Linux are superior to that of Win - security and so forth. But most aspects of what an OS needs to be for "everybody", i.e. an "average" user - oh, well... Linux, sadly for me, too, has a long way to go to becoming a real threat to Win dominant position in the general (PC) market...

More than anything, it is the very existence and ease of installation of drivers for all HW that is the crucial sticking point for Linux, when compared to a virtual monopolist that is MS/Windows...

I love and agree with Linux idea and what it stands for, it's great fun, too - but...

10. micky1punch

Jul 24, 2009
    strange, my pc is about 2 years old i guess, everything worked out of the box, less drivers to install than I have to we installing win7..

I'm certainly no pc guru, just your average user, I find ubuntu just as easy to use as windows, ok, a few times i will have to use terminal, but no more than i have to edit the registry on windows due to its stupidity at times lol..

I agree that linux is not a threat to that of windows, leave that to osx... but its certainly becoming more popular these days.

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    OK and how about peripherals? For instance?

How about the same applications for Win and Linux? Their functionality? Say audio-visual chat under Linux... MSN or other apps...

How about installing drivers without a ready-made installation file, like in Win - but having to "compile" them and whatnot? How many people are comfortable with it?

Hence the difference in the numbers of users... Most users want it all to work easily, to be able to install and set it up in a straight forward manner, not having to study to be able to sort out the problems they might....

You get the picture. It's an old story which is still very, very true, sadly...

12. micky1punch

Jul 24, 2009
    Like I said, mine works out of the box.

Ive never stated linux is competing with windows, nor that it will have more users than windows.

Simply that more people are finding ubuntu easier than it once was and are using it more, be it as a solo install, or dual booting.

My point was that it IS becoming more popular, fact! yet the likes of flash are going what seems to me, backwards.

Thats it, I'm not looking to compare the two OS, I have no idea how many people are comfortable with compiling, but I do know there is a lot less of that required these days..

I'm a windows user who has moved to linux, I am enjoying the experience :)

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Me, too - dual boot and all that... Actually triple boot - iGolaware added to the mix! Really good!

And we agree, it is getting simpler and easier. However, as a concept, I am having my doubts, as a lay person, how far this can get...

But the rest is a no-contest in favour of Win. It simply is easier and better supported. Not simple to compete with them... In so many ways...

14. micky1punch

Jul 24, 2009
    iGolaware looks interesting, not seen it on distrowatch..

So how does that compare to ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 (I'm assuming you have tried one of them, maybe not?)

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's really well made - based on Ubuntu 10... Better looking but it's all down to drivers and s**t - and my peripherals are always missing the drivers and having sh** functionality in the end...

Tried all finished Ubuntus, 'course.... ;)

16. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I highly recommend Elementary OS. The current release is based on Ubuntu 10.10 (I think) but the next release, which is where all the good stuff will come, will be based on 12.04 LTS and comes with a whole lot of goodies, visual improvements, unique apps and consistent look and feel. If you use Ubuntu 12.04 and would like to get a peek at what's in store for the Elementary OS "Luna", then you can add a couple PPAs and install the elementary-desktop package which should pull in most of the essential stuff. Be warned, however, that because Luna has not been released as yet a lot of the packages in the PPA can become unstable and updates take place on a daily basis so do not try this on a production machine. Disclaimer aside, a lot of users are trying the elementary Daily images or have enabled the PPA in Ubuntu 12.04 and are having quite a stable experience. I know because I'm currently using the PPA and working on a project (I backup regularly of course) and my experience has been quite stable.

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #97 gorski, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nothing most Linux users don't already know. A market with titans like Microsoft and Apple is going to be difficult to advance upon.

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Actually, frequently one is clobbered from the Linux die-hard camp, if one attempts similar "criticism"....

20. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I don't get why people are so religious about something like this. An OS is a tool. Some tools work better than others for different use cases. Some tools are more popular than others. Linux has a long journey to travel before it can hope to contend with Apple and Microsoft on the desktop platform. Due to Linux's nature, the real potential lies with the distributions (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Elementary OS, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Red Hat, Sabayon and the others). Linux is just a kernel. What the distros choose to build upon that will play a big role in the direction Linux will go. I use Windows, when it suits me and I also use Linux, when it suits me. Currently I'm using the Elementary OS pre-release. The Elementary OS project has philosophies that I identify with; simplifying the desktop, making it usable so that the user can focus exclusively on the work they need to do. They provide a simple selection of applications (hand-crafted by their own developers) that aim for simplicity and usability and follows a structured set of Human Interface Guidelines that they have documented on their website. They've created their own desktop environment, Pantheon, which follows the aforementioned philosophies of the project and a window manager and desktop compositor, Gala, that provides a non-distracting but visually appealing interface. This project is going to be the next Ubuntu (in fact they are based on Ubuntu) and it's going to be something huge for the Linux world, I think, given enough time and maturity. The only thing I wish they'd do is move away from Ubuntu and move closer to upstream, Debian. Currently, I would not say that Elementary is the best Linux-based OS, that is very subjective and based on your criteria for the "best" OS, but if they continue moving in the direction that they are it can definitely be one of the top distributions and a means of luring users across from the other platforms.