Best Linux OS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by goodguy_adi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. stessmer2010

stessmer2010 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2012
    I use backtrack 5 Because it is bootable And you can decipher wifi networks cracks bruteforce WEP=EASY

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Linux can walk all over Microsoft and Apple but a couple things are holding them back:
    1) Simplification, they need to dumb down Linux the process is too slow and with so many versions there is no concerted effort to do anything .
    2) Unification, there are too many people going in different directions. For Linux to beat Microsoft and Apple it needs just one distro with a Desktop and Server version and complete community backing. This is very hard to do, too many cooks trying to spoil the broth right now.
    3) Multimedia, Linux needs something to dethrone DirectX, either they do some major work on OpenGL or make another API and they need massive support for it. To get the support they will need to do 1 and 2 as stated above and show developers that they don't intend to be the fractured OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Agreed!

Plus, the business community needs to start working for Linux, writing those darn drivers properly, then the apps that will have the full (win) functionality! As Linus said, it's darn difficult writing for all, every single piece of HW out there... at least the way things are right now...

Take the multimedia and audio-visual chat in particular - when will it be at least "OK", if not as good as it is on Win?!? Proprietary drivers etc. we are told... Ahem...

So, as I said, if the business doesn't do the right thing - weeeelll... we'll be waiting for the overthrow... a wee bit longer...

Pity I never saw the exact "how to" that is also easy... :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm sticking with Ubuntu but just for playing around :D

5. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Have fun and be careful! :)

6. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Why be careful? I just installed Ubunto as a virtual machine. I use it for playing, not working :D

7. tripflex

tripflex MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    BT is great for penetration testing, CentOS for production environments, Ubuntu or Linux Mint for laptop/desktop

8. tiltkoko

tiltkoko MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    Archlinux is Great. Always updated!

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    One more plus for Linux: finally we have A-V chat in a sort of usable manner...

Not only Gmail/Google chat but also Skype 4.1, compatible with MSN/Win Live...

Sad, isn't it: it takes MacroHard to get this onto Linux properly or closer to a proper A-V chat...:bangin:

And in so doing we open ourselves up to Gov eaves-dropping on our conversations - M$ are well know for their "co-operation" with Gov agencies (charged with "intelligence") and we know they have seriously messed up security in the latter editions of Skype, since they acquired the company, so the Gov can listen-in, as they please...:eek_yello:

Talk about the deal with the Devil...:voodoo: All hail Mephistopheles!!!:mad:

10. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    If google creates a Android for PC users then we have a good linux distro, i know there are ports out there but a official one from google will do so.

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    How, if the drivers for so many devices are just not being written for Linux?

12. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    A lot of drivers are being written for Linux. In fact, my out-of-the-box experience with Debian-based and Red Hat-based distros has been better than Windows 7. My All-In-One HP printer "just works" as do my display adapter and other peripherals. Could you believe that my integrated Intel card was not properly detected by Windows 7 SP1? Not to mention my NVidia Optimus card. When I installed Windows 7 SP1, it fell back to a generic VGA adapter with very low resolution.

I would welcome an official Android port to netbooks and laptops. The drivers should not be a problem. They can have most hardware covered by using pre-existing NVidia, Radeon and Intel graphics controllers. Then, they also have access to Synaptics touchpad drivers and if they use the latest kernel, they would have most Broadcom cards working out-of-the-box. It's just that Google probably won't do it because they don't see any direct/immediate benefit. I think they've released the source code for Android so it shouldn't be difficult for capable persons to start a project like Androidx86. That project is extremely limited in scope, however.

Android is much more fully-featured than Chrome OS/Chromium OS and much more useful. There is already a project that allows users to install Chromium OS' Aura window manager on 64-bit Ubuntu. A project for Android would need a lot more extensive work, however, and I'm not sure how Google would feel about such a project.

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #113 gorski, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    How much is a lot? Drivers made for Windows is "a lot" and everything else is... well, pale by comparison...

If it happened to you does it mean it is actually happening for most if not all?

When one looks at Ubuntu forums one sees a lot of what I am saying...

Well, Linus Torvalds and many others, better clued up than me...

Never mind what I am saying... It is seriously complex!

Because there is so much varied HW out there...

Covering it all as Linux is... well, impossible!

Only with businesses wanting to...

14. vjott

vjott MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    That's obvious. Microsoft has business relations with all their hardware partners. There is actual profit to be made in prioritising the development of drivers for Windows.

No and I didn't say anything to imply that,

Maybe but there are driver-based complaints on Windows forums as well.

Linus is a wanker and so are the "others".

You're certainly making it seem as though it is.

Yes, that's true.

They're not even all covered by the latest versions of Windows. We've got to start somewhere, rather than giving up before making a decent attempt.

Only with businesses wanting to...what?

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    ...do business with Linux - and at the mo it certainly isn't, if you compare the figures, in terms of market share and so on...

Linus is no wanker and you agreed with his major point, btw... Anyone with any brains would... So much data to prove it.

Besides, between you and Linus, who proved himself, I think he has a considerably more considered opinion!

I agree with "it should/ought to happen" but reality is not supporting this statement in the present, sadly!

Again, by comparison, because all these terms are relational and when anyone relates to MS - boo-hoo!

And again, sadly!!! But it's the truth...

16. aarongreater

aarongreater MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    If Linux based operating system still remains in the level of components, I would fear using it. Because I got in touch with Linux for more than 12 years, frankly, I have to commit that most time I waste time to reinstall or redeploy them on my computer rather than using it for practical jobs. The early version of Fedora in my memories are really disasters, not only instable but also could nothing that I seek for. Linux in my past days, I just treat it as some a handy utility with which I could solve some problem easily. But I have to say that Ubuntu is great! At least, I could use it as one whole product, with it I don't want to think what happens behind it, just enjoying what are on it.

Android is excellent, but it is just one layer, special layer on modified or customized linux kernel. It is hard to say that Android is Linux Operating System.

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I am really sad that iGolaware is kinda suspended and no further developments have seen the light of day for way too long...:confused::(

18. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Recently, I tried Linux Mint. From my point of view, it's a little bit better than Ubuntu :D

19. =)(=

=)(= Guest

Arch Linux <3 I installed it on my PC a few days ago, for the first time ever and i must say that it is the best distro that i used.

pacman (arch's package manager) is easy to use and if you enable multilib repo you can easy install 32bit software on 64bit arch.

Arch wiki has so much information and everything is well explained, even explains how to configure Skype etc.

20. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Lucky for you that you never had (or noticed) any problems with Ubuntu

sebus