Best Linux OS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by goodguy_adi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Daerias

Daerias MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2013
    my favourite is ArchBang --> fast, little system without big GUI. very configurable ;) newest kernel

2. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    My favourite is Ubuntu but I don;t like Unity..:p

3. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    #123 fkar, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    My opinion is UBUNTU. :good3:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. weince_91

weince_91 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2011
    my opinion it that you dont have to try it out if you are doing this just for fun but if you are going to learn something through this exercise you should start from Ubuntu and then so far all of them they are all good in some specific features so good luck with it !!!

5. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #125 nexus76, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    My favorite: Debian

I started with Debian and for me it was a good experience and wise decision.
    It's fast, stable, easy to handle and serves all thinkable packages.

But that's just my oppinion, it depends on what are your requirements.
    Easy-Starters are Linux Mint & Ubuntu (even based on Debian ; )

At the beginning I tried some Redhat derivates like Fedora and CentOS also, but those systems
    were not my flavor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. DjonaMi

DjonaMi MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2013
    #126 DjonaMi, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Ubuntu is doing a really good job and its expanding. And its from the Debian family. I think, Ubuntu will have a better market share soon.

7. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    For me,Ubuntu is Windows 7 from Linux.I use now Kubuntu because I hate Unity but my appreciation still remain.With these distros you can make everything..:worthy:

8. opto88

opto88 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Over the years, I've tried them all from Red Hat, Mint, Fedora, Open Suse, etc. + every Ubuntu iteration including Unity & non-unity distros. I finally happily settled on PClinuxos.
    It is especially easy if you are moving from Windows to Linux and the KDE interface is attractive and efficient.
    People seem to fall in love with Ubuntu (especially the critics who seem to push it) but I found PClinuxos to be much faster with less bloat.
    We all have are opinions and personal tastes so try all the Distros you can. The price is right :) We can all find one that is right for what we need and better than Microsofts entries . That's a no-brainer.

9. Amanda_L

Amanda_L MDL Junior Member

Feb 9, 2013
    There's also ZorinOS, which has DE's that look like Windows :D

10. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    #130 Cal-123, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    Have to agree about PCLinuxOS - it has the Broadcom wireless drivers already installed. All worked as one would expect for a newbie to Linux. Throw the un-tar at a newbie for wireless connection and he is through with Linux.

My 2 cents...

11. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I do all I have to do with Kubuntu,with nice interface Kde and easy and more customizable.As a Windows 7 user I can apreciate transprency glass is superior...in Kubuntu.

12. homechicken

homechicken MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2013
    I run Fedora. Ubuntu is also good.

I'm a Fedora fan. I run a Mythtv backend with Fedora 18. I've had very few issues with it. Most of them are in the first week of upgrading. I do bare metal installs each time, not trusting the upgrade mechanism. Soon, I'll upgrade to Fedora 19.

I really like the way yum works rather than apt-get or aptitude. I only add on one third-party software repo, rpmfusion. I have had no dependency conflicts. The rpmfusion guys are great and will respond quickly if you see a bug with their RPMs.

The issues arise from the fact that Fedora is bleeding-edge. I run into issues with the new major and minor versions of software sooner than others who are running Ubuntu. It can be a pain, but these things resolve. I do wish that there was more than a year of support. Third-party repositories tend to slow down their output for the older Fedora version after the new one gets released (every six months). I ran into this with new XBMC RPMs for Fedora 17 (the repo was stuck on version 11 when 12 had been released).

I think that the Debian-based systems have the largest user base and therefore there is more support. This includes Ubuntu, of course. There is definitely something to be said for that. I've considered switching to Mythbuntu 12.04 LTS for that reason and also because there is support for three years. Upgrading every six or seven months can be a pain in the ass when you want the machine to be stable. I just know that I can upgrade pretty painlessly with the cheat sheet I've been working on since Fedora 15.

I think there really is no 'best' distribution. I think that each must choose what works best for him. However, choosing a distribution backed by a large number of users or a strong company doesn't hurt. :)

13. Xtracter

Xtracter MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2011
    I'm running Xubuntu and after all distros i've tried, it is the best for me. It's stable, has a gnome 2 feel, and because it's ubuntu it has a lot of packages. Zorin OS would be an alternative, but Xubuntu is more stable.

14. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Linux Mint or Fedora ;

Depends on your target,

Regards

15. D4rk_nVidia

D4rk_nVidia MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    Running Elementary OS now and itś nice :)

Favorits:
    Linux Mint
    Elementary OS

16. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    Am now trying the new Mint Debian Edition. A bit faster, using Cinnamon, than Mint 15 - although it is a bit more particular about propitiatory files. (ex: Can't as of yet use certain fonts, like Aerial. This doesn't call for an install as it will update system files as Debian does. So far, so good. :)

17. Donut

Donut MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2013
    Greetins I am a LInux user I am running Ultimate Edition 3.4LTS It is the equivelent to Ubuntu12.04LTS only in a tweaked version.

18. Donut

Donut MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2013
    Here is a screenshot

Attached Files:

19. andr0id

andr0id MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    I like Lubuntu - its a light weight Lubuntu.

20. MrKaon

MrKaon MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I am trying out Ubuntu so far so good. :popcorn: