Best Linux OS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by goodguy_adi, Jan 25, 2011.

1. EnDoerner

EnDoerner MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2014
    well, this is my first post on this forum, so let's go...

I totally support that post!, I am physicist and I configured my cluster with Ubuntu 12.04 lts and all works perfectly from the beginning; at my desktop PC I decided to install Debian 7.5 stable (just to be more "cool", as I have always heard from a experts than Ubuntu is the worst Linux OS ever made blah blah blah) and I have had many problems (for example, random crashes, it does not enter to the system after reboot due to... the mouse driver was not founded (!?), and a lot of weird stuff.... I have invested more time trying to keep the PC running as doing research... I think that I will return to Ubuntu, hehehe.

2. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Yesterday I installed Manjaro Linux wich is a young Linux distro.Installed KDE on my main machine and I was pleasantly surprised with this system speed.:clap:

3. shx

shx MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2014
    Manjaro is basically a graphical installer for Arch - system speed is imperative on a Arch variant, long term stability not so much.

4. st_7

st_7 MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I guess most linux experts say bad things about Ubuntu or doesn't prefer it(for that matter any distro like ubuntu) because of it's flashy GUI. Yeah, it kind of funny, those experts prefer command line work environment, so naturally they don't prefer any linux OS which tries to match(if that is the right word to use) windows in GUI. But Ubuntu(or any other distro with GUI like it) is the top of list of all linux distros that can be recommended to a normal user coming from Windows OS. It's easy to use & users will find no difficulty in finding their way around, once again because of it's UI.

I'm an occasional user of linux, I've been a CentOS user since 5.x but I'm just hating their new UI or rather new Gnome UI(Gnome 3.8.4) in CentOS 7, it's almost like KDE(which I always hated for it's too flashy UI).

5. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    You guys should try Elemantary OS

6. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I want Freya,when will be available.

7. Amarildo-Jr

Amarildo-Jr MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2014
    Arch, no doubt.

8. JimmyHurrell

JimmyHurrell MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2014
    Hello

There are some latest linux version are following:-

KDE
    GNOME3
    XFCE
    Deepin Desktop

Each of the above desktop are strong.
    Thanks.

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Those are not Linux these are just the desktop enviromements...:p

10. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm not going to say the best Linux OS, but I'll tell you which one I like the best.

Well, it was Debian for about 15 years, but in light of recent changes I will be switching to Devuan as soon as they release their first distro.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. pirithous

pirithous MDL Member

Dec 17, 2014
  12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #172 Skaendo, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #173 Superfly, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    This is what bugs me about our community... too much in-fighting.

I, personnally, have no opinion whether systemd will succeed or not, given the possibile deficiencies, but what would be nice is if we accept one way foward and work together to achieve the ultimate goal... we have the numbers, it's just a matter of combining the skills that exist to create a unified approach. A pipe-dream maybe, but we live in hope.

BTW, as it stands now, the title of this thread should be..Best Linux OS for me (i.e. given your needs

PS: Before I get flamed... I mean numbers as in dev's working on different distro's - not necessarily users.

14. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #174 Skaendo, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    It's not a matter if one init system succeds or not. It's about having the choices to choose from, not in just what init system but anything.

The problem with systemd is that it is not in line with the Linux/UNIX philosophy 'To do one thing and do it well'.

systemd has dozens of of 'tightly coupled binaries' and takes on WAY more than being an init system.

This puts it in the company of Windows' svchost and opens another world of problems including but not limited to:

virus', malware and spyware
    constant rebooting when updating 'system files' that are coupled to systemd
    requiring the entire systemd suite when a program depends on just one file that systemd is coupled to then forcing systemd as the init system
    and other Windows style issues.

15. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yes, but Linux is inherently way more secure than Windows by sudo anyway...Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

16. nailzuk

nailzuk MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Archlinux is the bestest Linux i have ever used, current install is 3 years old and still running like a train.

17. nailzuk

nailzuk MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    I see you must be new to linux, there is no 'contstant rebooting' the only time one is advised to reboot is after a kernel or GFX driver upgrade.

18. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Isn't the best Linux OS the one your using? :p

19. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    correction, it is the one "I" am using :D
    .//slaps Kofuji around a bit with a large systemd trout