best way of passing activation for XP with sp3 for PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by hfake, Feb 27, 2009.

1. hfake

hfake MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2008
    Hi. I'm living in a country that can't buy Windows. For years I had been using this OS and never knew these Windows are hacked.

When I noticed, I was worried that my Windows might have virus or spy originally!

Thanks to digital life I downloaded a torrent and checked it's sha1 code to be original. It was fine. I installed it and it needs activation within 30 days. :(

So I started searching for passing activation. I see things like modding, slp, etc. I don't own a laptop but a desktop PC. Are these methods working for PC as well?

What is best way of passing activation for XP with sp3?

Thanks guys.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    we need more information i,e, your brand of motherboard and bios version please look at Request to insert SLP1.0 into modded BIOS thread also you maybey depending on motherboard you can use a program called DMI Editor.

3. hfake

hfake MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2008
    Thanks for your reply.

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L. BIOS is Award ver. 2.4 2007/09/07.

I did a bit of looking there and here. Is there not a complete reference on this job? Everything I read is difficult to understand. Even those that look like steps by step talk about things that I can't understand easily.:eek: Also it seems it's specific to hardware which means if I change my hardware, I'll need to do it again?

I never thought it's this difficult to hack Windows. Anyway it's not likely to change hardware soon, so doing it once is enough for me.

Thank you again for your help.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #4 911medic, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hfake

hfake MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2008
    Thank you so much for detailed answer. However I'm in a mental fog, but this looks like a great complete answer. Do I understand it correctly:

By using an SLP in the bios you mean I update my motherboards' bios and change manufacturer information(Gigabyte here) in a way that fools XP Setup that it's an OEM laptop bios? I had always been told to don't touch bios. Isn't this a bit dangerous?

By reading other messages I understand it as finding a set of files from an OEM original XP CD ROM that matches the information I added into my motherboard bios in previous step and create an image with those files being replaced. Am I still correct?

DMI? Does this mean I have to Enter some texts (probably texts that identify my motherboard model) in my motherboard bios using
    dmicfg?

What is a mod? Am I not flashing my bios when using dmicfg.exe? I'm totally confused here.

I understand my questions look obvious to you and are truly dumb but I'm a beginner and I hope you'll excuse me because of that. Thanks again.

6. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    I have the Gigabyte MB, but a rather old one, and the only thing i had to do was to replace oembios.* files with those for Gigabyte, i suppose that the necessary SLP string is already on any Gigabyte MB. Just dont forget to change the key, i used SLP key for eMachines, but i think many other's will work as well.

7. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    #7 Suicide Solution, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    As frwil explained you may not need to add the SLP string to DMI area of the bios as most Gigabyte boards are already setup correctly.

Need to determine your Windows setup disc version.

If your current Windows install was from an OEM or Retail setup disk you just need to change the Windows key to a SLP OEM key, that matches the version of Windows you installed, then copy the four Gigabyte OEMBIOS files to the correct locations on your Windows install and reboot the machine.

VLK or Corporate XP setups can be changed as well, but may be a lot more involved. If you are not sure you have a VLK setup disk just take a look at the PID value of your current install.

If it has a value of 640 through 649 in the bold area: XXXXX-640-649-XXXXX-XXXXX ......

then you have a Corporate setup disk and the easiest way to fix it will be to change the Windows key to a genuine VLK key.

You can convert your VLK disk to a Gigabyte SLP setup disk as well, but you would need to do a fresh reinstall of Windows with the converted disc afterwards.

If you need help with the vlk key shoot me a PM.

If you want to build the SLP disk just say so and I will supply links to all the files needed and get ya started.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #8 911medic, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Suicide Solution

Apr 29, 2008
  10. Suicide Solution

Apr 29, 2008
  11. red192624

red192624 MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2008
    hi....can help me how to reformat my pc and intall windows xp step by step coz i am using windows vista and i dont like it....... i have a dvd of windows xp sp3

thanks ........... i will wait for your reply

12. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    First : try to find XP drivers for your notebook...