best way to connect to virtual box

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Dreuzel, May 10, 2012.

1. Dreuzel

Dreuzel MDL Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I've installed virtual box on Win7 in a windows environment.

The main reason was to open it for linux applications Ubuntu.
    I'm lost in virtual space now. All is working on the server ... but as I read I need to install Xming ...X11 to be able to access Ubuntu... This is a lot of overkill for unexperienced users that only want to access Ubuntu applications

is there a way to do this straight forward (VDRE? on xp to Win7 server running virtual Ubuntu)

all help welcome

2. atreyu

atreyu MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Hi, Dreuzel

Did you install a desktop or server version of Ubuntu?

The best way to start is with a desktop version, then you start the vm and use it... like Windows ( or perhaps I am missing the point)

3. Dreuzel

Dreuzel MDL Member

Apr 22, 2009
    #3 Dreuzel, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    (OP)
    Did that installed desktop launch it using VirtualBOx localy and all happens correctly ...

But from any other (not the server, i could use RDP Vrdp,.....????) but I can not access Ubuntu
    (ps defined network Bridge and fixed an IP address (not NAT)) Ping to the Ubuntu Virtual machine works ....
    I want to integrate applications hiding the fact that I'm using Ubuntu (set up x server ,,,,and work through a double emulated login .... the real virtual way ....)
    THis is what I miss and find no way how to handle it ....

As I googled arround from Ubuntu it seems a lot easer .... but people do not have Ubuntu they have windows7 /xp