Best way to integrate 2012R2 updates?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by IAmTheDude, Aug 10, 2015.

1. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Had a free weekend so decided to clear out and reinstall my little micro-server, haven't done it for over two years.

130 updates @ 1.4g and nearly 3hrs to get it updated! Thought I'm not doing that again if I need to reinstall!

So I spent a few hours fiddling around trying to integrate the updates like I do with other versions of Windows.

Cant seem to find the right way.

WUDownloader doesn't have a list for them so I used PortUpdate to download them. They were all .cab so I set up a DISM list over night.

All went fine until I noticed the finished .wim (4 indexes) was 11gb.

Looked at /cleanup-image and /reset-base which error's out. Googling the error says its due to 'pending.xml' and needs a reboot (offline wim?!)

With other Windows I usually do the WUDownloaders .msu's on a clean iso with MSMGs toolkit which works a treat but this is the first time Im doing it 'manually' using cab files.

So, how do you guys do this?

2. Dave101

Dave101 MDL Junior Member

Feb 27, 2014
    not sure its gonna be much help for you, but I have a few clients that have a very slow internet connection. and quiet a number of computers at there locations. we utlised WSUS in so windows updates could be stored localy and pushed out over the lan as apoosed to each computer downloading it