Best Windows 8 Codec Pack

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CuteBirdy, Nov 3, 2012.

1. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
  2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    +1 Shark007. Haven't tried K-Lite since some of the first versions, when I did experience conflicts. They've probably solved them before, but I had already moved on, so...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. The Wendigo

The Wendigo MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2012
    Been using K-Lite for years, without any problems (except that it wouldn't play nicely with Super-C Video Converter). Using TMPGEnc instead fixed that one. And since WMP no longer plays DVD/BlueRay discs, I'm using Power-DVD 10 instead. No real biggie.... Oh, and VLC is there if needed, as I do have a couple of files (the Saddam Hussein hanging footage, for example) that will not play in anything but VLC. So really, it depends on your needs and usage as to which media player(s) is best for you.

4. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Well if you need to know vid streaming I would suggest Doom9.org. The obvious best is

MPC-ht ====> Madvr (vid) & FFdshow (audio)

Windows alternative has been inferior for years. I would say not even worth using .... would be better to watch utube :D.

Regards

5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    MPC-HC with MADVR (video renderer), with FFDshow & LAvf (latest of both of these, to cover all possible scenarios) is the best combination.

Actually MPC-HC covers most situations just by itself, you shouldn't really come across too many formats it can't play (only proprietary or non-official formats may be an issue). To get around the non-official format issue, FFDshow and LAVF filters can be used. Further to this, technically you only really need LAVF filters (not FFDshow), but ffdshow can come in handy in certain circumstances. For audio, that is covered by these programs as well (mpc-hc, lavf, and ffdshow). If you want audio processing, you can set it up so you can use the ffdshow audio processor (even if the audio is decoded in mpc-hc/lavf), and you can also use ac3filter. I highly recommend using ac3filter!

MADVR is a plugin video renderer (with full support in MPC-HC) that is not only very fast but produces far superior picture. On top of this, you can add shaders to mpc-hc (which now works with Madvr). The inbuilt shaders are pretty basic, but you can get other shaders that give nice results.

It may take a bit of setting up, but doing the above you can get superior video quality!

6. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    #27 Supern00b, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    #28 Shayne, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    FFdshow transforms mp3 and outputs to a/v preprocessors audio formats such as mp3 in dolby digital 5.1. This is the better format for a home theatre. It is also a notable improvement to letting ffdshow do this over my anthem avm 50v preprocessor.

Regards

Edit: I used ac3 for years but now ffd. ac3 will transform also

8. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    If what u want is keep using wmp then Sharks007 is the answer. I do not recomend k-lite at all. I don't care it's updated, i don't care they fixed it. It gave me enough headaches some years ago so i learned to stay away from it.

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Windows 8 Codecs 1.33 by Sharks007
    Windows 8 Codecs 64 Bit 1.33 by Sharks007

Personally I am using Media Player Classic Black Edition 1.0.3.1 Build 1239 x86 without any codec pack...:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...