Big Windows 8 Customisation Thread: Tools, Tricks, Hacks and Help

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by magdalene, Sep 19, 2012.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #41 pisthai, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cysm

cysm MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2007
    yes. photoshop/paint.net then get to work with reshacker or restorator on imageres.dll (where metro backgrounds are stored)

3. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks for info...

4. Sliden

Sliden MDL Junior Member

May 20, 2009
  5. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    That is the tricky part, isn't it... :D :D

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Just try unpackig it, you´ll find an anwer...:D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. adrianyujs

adrianyujs MDL Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Windows start button is missing, I always use Start button + E to open up explorer lol...

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Then use win 7 explorer in win 8. Installer has now a graphical interface and there is only an install-dvd/image of win 7 needed to do so...:D. Foolproof!
    Regards

9. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    :)
    And it will work until some regular Windows update will change link between Explorer.exe and its DLLs, then you will have to run to that TiTy guy for updated patch and after you will get it, you will spend hour with replacing the file and setting shell to regular explorer.exe in some sort of rescue mode, because the Windows will not boot.
    In fact, that solution doesn't make sense at all.

10. win8superstar

win8superstar MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2012
    unlike you some ppl like win 8's metro interface,and what you are postulating will be an abhorrent eye sore.get your head out of your ass.

11. wolf69

wolf69 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    u can still have metro interface along with the classic shell so for people who like the metro they can have it and normal start menu if wanted

12. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    Why not simply get used to what Microsoft offers. I have computers for 20 or more and I evolved with. Which is ridiculous in the history...

criticism is easy...

After everyone does what he wants...

13. Rand

Rand MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2007

I tend to prefer using what works best for my needs rather then simply taking software X and using it forever regardless of whether any future changes are useful for me.
    ie. I don't still use ACDSee despite LOVING it in the late 90's. The software has changed and new versions have changed in undesirable ways, so I now use Zoner instead. I didn't simply use the new software because ACDSee told me it was better, I tried it decided for myself. It didn't suit my needs, so I found something else that did.

If something in Windows 8 doesn't suit me, then I change it to what does.
    Adapting to a new way of doing things is fine - if the new ways is useful or beneficial. If the change is for the worse, then I don't change.

I don't feel that it's productive or useful for me to blindly accept what any companies decide is best for me.
    I'm the one who has the work in the OS on a daily basis, so it only makes logical sense then I will use what is most intuitive and functional for ME. Microsoft is most concerned with what is best for them financially, that's fine and understandable but that Microsoft has decided people should or shouldn't use X software or that Y functionality is/isn't needed is irrelevant to me. I use what works for me, not Microsoft.

I don't especially feel that it's rational to do and buy what companies tell you that you should. Everyone company has their own financial best interests in mind, not mine.

It's not much different then my not running out and buying an iPhone right now. I could simply get used to what Apple offers, and evolve with them and accept that they know what is best for me. I don't though because I'd rather try things out and use what I find works best for me.
    I prefer Android, so I use Android.

I'm not beholden to any company nor do I find it useful to allow any company or individual to be the sole arbiter of what I do and use. I used Windows Vista when everyone hated it and preferred WindowsXP. I did because it worked for ME, that the changes in Vista were undesirable for many was irrelevant to me. I didn't use all of the stock out of the box settings though, because they didn't necessarily suit my needs. I changed them to what did. Using WindowsXP because other people told me to even if it didn't work ideally for me would be silly. Similarly, using the default Vista settings just because Microsoft decided it was best for me regardless of whether that was true would be foolish.

If the changes in Windows 8 work for you then great! Use it!

If some or all of those changes don't... then use what does work for you. Don't just use something simply because someone else told you to.
    If Microsoft released Windows 9 tomorrow and in Windows 9 you are no longer allowed to run anything but Paint will you accede to their desires and never use anything but Paint because Microsoft has evolved and you want to evolve with them?
    That's absurd. You should ALWAYS use what works best for you as an individual.
    If you decide a change is beneficial then change, if it isn't then don't. Don't change when Microsoft tells you to change, and if Microsoft tells you not to change because their way is best, well... ignore them if what they decide isn't compatible with what you like/need.

You'll be much happier and more productive if you learn to use what works best for you rather then what works best for any random company.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm 100% agree with Rand!

For my own, as well for the OS's and Apps used in my company, I use only what's is doing what we need it for in the best, fastest ans easiest way, and for low cost as well.

For to testing I use Pirated Apps if there isn't a fully working Trial available. If I found that it cover my needs in all aspect's I'll buy the original and use that further on. If not, that apps will be deleted and never use again.

In an company, where you have to provide the tools for working, which includes the Software for the computers also, you have no choice as to "dictate" to your staff what they have to use on their working place. As long as this is done with the criterium in mind to use the most efficient Apps, the staff need to agree with them or look for a new job.

In my company we do not allow for to use some Apps, special Social Network Apps like Facebook, Twitter and other. We instead do allow the use of Skype as the only solution and that just works well. If some staff think they could go against the rules, they get fired directly. As all working contract's of my company are approved by the Labor Department in each single case, upon signing by the employee, they acknowledge the risk of breaching the contract and that they could not even file an case on the Labor Court against my company.

In today's life, efficiency is most important, special if we're in business.

15. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #59 moderate, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    I am quite curious about the part in the color code: D9 because according the specification this should be alpha channel (aRGB) (transparency), but it isn't 00 or FF but D9... Strange :))

How did you received from Photoshop? With Drop-Glass tool and left-click on the color I am getting only RGB (like a105c0), so these two digits are missing...

16. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Alpha channel works the following way in RTM:

0x##****** as:

##
    Transparent - color preview square and taskbar
    Range: 00 (absolute transparent) - FF (opague)

##
    Color Intensity - all other windows
    Range: 1A (absolute light) - FF (absolute dark)
    Note: range 00 -19 sets color to absolute dark for some reason unknown