BIOS Boot Setting

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mishtag, Mar 21, 2016.

1. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    Hi, I have bought a new Acer computer that had windows 10 installed, and then I added another HD in order to install Windows 7 on it, but first and in order to boot from the CD\DVD driver, I had to change the boot security to disable and also turn Boot type from CSM never to Legacy, so after finishing the installation and when I reset back the bios I got a file digital signature check error when I try to boot from win7, and if I only turn the boot security disable it would stuck on the start logo, so I have also to change the boot type to Legacy, so although I found instructions to disable the digital signature check, and also I found SW to maybe fix the boot problem, I have the choice to keep the boot setting with Security disable and Boot type Legacy, I thought first that I will not be able to get to win10 but I would, so is there a disadvantage? If yes, then I will try the instruction and the SW, if not then simply I keep the Bois setting to Security disabled and boot type to Legacy, thanks in advance for your help.

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    There's no benefit on using UEFI with Secure Boot enabled over Legacy BIOS. Keep legacy BIOS and you'll be fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    UEFI is only needed for 2 things, (boot) disk > 2GB and if you want to create more than 4 primary partitions on 1 disk.

4. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    First thank you for your help, second the added HD is only 500GB, but the original HD is 2TB, however, it has a partition with the recovery files which makes it around 1.81TB, so what is the (boot) disk > 2GB? (btw, is it less or greater than 2GB?)

5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    The real size of a 2TB HDD is 1.81 TB because manufacturers count 1 MB = 1000 kB which is false. 1 MB = 1024 kB.
    So, don't worry unless your primary HDD is 3 TB in size.
    Thus, use happily the legacy BIOS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    Thanks again Socrate, I am happy because I don't have to reinstall Win7 after spending hours for the installation, drivers and other SWs, besides, I don't want to mess up my computer by trying commands to fix the problem and then I might do it wrong since it is for advanced users.:clap: