BIOS Mod Success on Sony VAIO RA series

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by global_dev, Jan 4, 2010.

1. global_dev

global_dev MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2010
    SONY VGC-RA820G
    Motherboard - ASUSTeK PTGD2-VX
    AMI Bios located in AIBSYS-00787108-US.EXE

mod and flash done on win7 beta.

using uni-extractor app extracted to another executable, config, check and eula. finally ended up with a dir of:

AFUWIN.exe
    AMIFLDRV.SYS
    Hary2004.bin <--- BIOS
    WBFLASH.exe
    WBFLASH.SCR

used amitools V3 to mod Hary2004 bios with 2.1 slics, cert and SLP. verified mod.

Changed compatibility mode for afuwin to XP SP2.

Apparently Sony's bios flash .exe does not work from within Windows Explorer on Vista and Win 7 sometimes with error of "cannot read system information"

flash done by moving to dir with the files above in CLI, execute command "afuwin /i<ROM filename>". The help file below doesn't list the command /i, but it worked for me. the flash begins and is completed successfully. verified with bios ro tool.

According to the check or config file, this bios maybe used for a bunch of VAIO models.

fyi: afuwin help
    ami DOT com/support/downloads/txt/AFU_README.TXT

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    These look to be similar to the RS Series AMI Bios's.
    It's just an OEM Asus board with an AMI Bios.
    I did my Vaio RS420 (Asus P4SD-VX) about a year ago for Vista and more recently for Win 7.
    This does not seem to be breaking news.

But congratulations on your successful mod anyway. :)

3. global_dev

global_dev MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2010
    #3 global_dev, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for the info, i really didn't think it was anything new since i just followed the instructions. I posted just for informational use, i.e, success and howto get the bios file since I just couldn't find anything on my Asustek board other than people writing that they couldn't update the bios on these VGC-RA series VAIOs once vista was installed using the sony tool.

I was wondering if there was a reason why the afuwin "/i" command is necessary? I don't see it on the afuwin help site
    Is there a way to change the date on the BIOS so I can more easily see what is loaded?

4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    You can easily change the Date with AMIBCP for Windows at least for my Vaio RS420 BIOS.
    Mine says 10/29/09 but it originally said 10/29/04.
    I also didn't flash from Windows, I used AFUDOS from DOS.

5. MexicanSpider

MexicanSpider MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2013
    Missing configuration in my BIOS

I would like to know if this thread is related with my following problem. I am wondering if my ASUS motherboad's BIOS can be updated to enable the "NX" feature. This feature needs to be enabled to install Windows 8. That is my only interest. No-eXecute (NX) is a processor feature that allows marking of memory pages as non-executable. The feature allows the CPU to help guard the system from attacks by malicious software. This is modified in the bios, generally under the "safety" section. My current BIOS version is American Megatrends 2003 10/19/2004. My motherboard is ASUSTeK PTGD2-VX, and this BIOS version does not have any configuration that enables NX.

I tried checking with Windows Sysinternals tool Coreinfo if NX was enabled in my computer and, as you can see in the image I include, it is not(the "*" means the feature is currently enabled). I would like some help to allow this option or another alternative so I can install Windows 8. If this is not the correct thread just let me now.

Note: As global_dev, I am using windows 7, but in a VAIO VGC-RA828G and I receive the "cannot read system information" when updating the BIOS with the Sony VAIO's BIOS update from the VAIO support site.

NX not enabled.jpg