Bios modd doesnt work anymore?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chris2407, Mar 26, 2008.

1. chris2407

chris2407 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2008
    my vista is still working.. last night it showed 1hour left, then it showed 0 hours left but nothing happened... strang huh?

2. chris2407

chris2407 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2008
    my vista is still giving me the popup with 0 hours left but its still activated... is this normal?

My system reboots by it self every few hours now i dont know if the vista activation is causing this... the windows event logging says only "Error:Unexpected reboot at 12:05"

How can i find out why my pc reboots always? This happens every few hours.

many thanks.

3. popeye44

popeye44 MDL Novice

May 15, 2007
    If you are absolutely certain you have the RTM release of SP1 then I dont have an answer. It should still be activated. If you had a beta or RC of sp1 then it would time out and give you the message you see. "I've gotten the same message"

4. chris2407

chris2407 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2008
    i think i got the RC version its not RTM. I did not know that this could cause any problems. I will install the RTM version tomorrow and check if i will get this same error again.

But its very strange that my pc always reboots by it self like 3 times a day... how can i find out why this happens? My pc is very new i just built it 2 months ago and never had any problems untill now.

5. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Windows rebooting without reason is either a hardware problem (run a full hardware diags) or a severe software crash. Look at the logs for clues, and run a full diagnostic.

Running RC's are of course a wildcard in any software troubleshooting.

6. Sabresite

Sabresite MDL Member

Nov 7, 2007
    In regards to what Yen said, 5-8% of all windows licenses will not activate due to a bug in the algorithm.

Also if the activation server becomes unavailable, or throws an error for an odd reason, your computer will deactivate and start a countdown. Most computers are set to check every 2 hours for deactivated computers, and 7 days for activated computers (I think).

If your computer is activated now and you are not having anymore problems, then I wouldn't worry about it.

7. chris2407

chris2407 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2008
    i installed vista from an Retail version again and did the bios modd. Its been working fine now for about 1 week... hope that i will not get the pop ups anymore...

8. asifmalik48

asifmalik48 MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    You see widows shows activated but still i get the popup 1 hour after i start my computer and then after 2 hours my system goes BSOD showing error message "end_of_NT_evaluation_Period". Some one please figure it out.:mad:

9. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    You are running BETA software

@asifmalik48,

Since you are new here (we all were once:)) my 1st suggestion is that you learn how to use the 'Search' function. There is a great deal of information available on this forum and you will probably find that your questions have been asked & answered already. This can save you (and the rest of the community) a lot of time repeating the same thing over & over. Your question is also not really related to the original post, so in the future you might want to create a new post for your question, once you have searched to make sure that your question wasn't previously answered.

Having said all that, the message you received was pretty clear. The answer to your problem is that you are running BETA software (SP1 v.165) which has expired.

Do your homework and install the proper RTM (Released) Service Pack from Microsoft once you have de-installed the BETA. Problem fixed. :D

10. asifmalik48

asifmalik48 MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks for your sugessions i ll be careful next time as you know we noobs are not good at understanding some obvious things:confused:.
    And thanks for the solution.:cool: