BIOS Newbie - Do I need SLIC 2.1? (Yeah, I read the stickies)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by micaheli, May 12, 2010.

1. micaheli

micaheli MDL Novice

May 12, 2010
    I started with a simple goal and now I'm dizzy with a fresh set of acronyms. My compass is spinning.

My initial goal - Install an Intel 5300AGN PCIe card into my HP 6910p (w/ATI graphics). Having completely failed at the "search before you buy" ideology, I started googling'. I found that you can do some hex editing of Phoenix BIOS's to mod the BIOS to accept a different set of hardware id's - or so I thought.. I then found out that my HP 6910p is Phoenix BIOS, but its some HP-bastardized version of Phoenix BIOS that I can't edit with the typical howto/walkthroughs. I then stumbled into this site that talks about using a SLIC 2.1 BIOS to mod it. Once I got focused on "Modding" my BIOS, it seemed that the conversations got less and less focused on WLAN WhiteListing...

I'm at the point right now, where I'm not sure this is what I need to do. The primary reason people seem to want SLIC 2.1 is to do offline activations of Win7/Vista. I see few mentions of it helping me in my WLAN WhiteList issue.

So, my ultimate questions are:

1. Is SLIC 2.1 what I need? Can somebody explain it? Even the great and powerful Google seems to fall short while explaining how it could help me. Though, I definitely see how it helps offline activations.

2. Can somebody point me in the right direction to what I need to do? I don't want to have to request a SLIC 2.1 and waste somebodies time if I don't need to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS. I have a freebie 6510b to test any mod procedure on first so as to not destroy my far superior 6910p. Both seem to follow the same rules of modding and have the same pseudo-phoenix-bios.

--Micah

2. A_Man_Eating_duck

A_Man_Eating_duck MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    A SLIC 2.1 means that it has the Windows 7 license is actually inside the bios. It looks like your laptop should already have a SLIC 2.1 bios from the manufacturer, an easy way to check is to download Windows Loader by DAZ and unzip and run it. When it opens, on the installation tab under details, it should have V2.1 at the end. If it says only 2.0 then it only has a Vista license in the bios, if this is the case then use the 6910p bios in the below link and update the laptop and recheck with Windows Loader.

What you need is a bios with the whitelist removed so you can change the WLAN card.

h**p://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7681-This-is-no-request-thread!-HP-COMPAQ-bioses-how-to-modify-the-bios/page111?p=333358#post333358

Download Windows Loader by DAZ
    h**p://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/24901-Windows-Loader-Current-release-information

sorry i can't post links, my account is too new. replace the ** with tt.

Report back if you have any problems :)

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    for wireless replacement u want No WHITELIST bios mod.