BIOS Overwrite-Lost Product Key

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by treacherous_hawk, Apr 2, 2016.

1. treacherous_hawk

treacherous_hawk MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Hi All, my computer had issues going into BIOS since i mistakenly changed it to Legacy from UEFI. I had to take it to repair shop and they overwrote the BIOS on a chip on motherboard. Now Windows is asking for activation. How can i reactivate it?
    I remember extracting the key long back but cannot find it. Please help out.
    Edit: It is ACER V5-571G laptop.

2. treacherous_hawk

treacherous_hawk MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Update: i was able to extract key again using the PID tool here on forum. Putting that key works but with every restart it asks for activate Windows.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    run in cmd
    slmgr.vbs -rearm
    reboot then retry the key

edit: might have to check the system
    dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Is it still under warranty? I'd take it back & get Acer to inject a new key. MS gives the oem's an allocation of free keys for dead/replacement boards, etc.
    You would need special tools to inject your key yourself & I don't think they are available/leaked...
    Perhaps they could re-inject your key...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. quid

quid MDL Addicted

Oct 22, 2010
    #5 quid, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I suspect you should be able to inject it using WinFlash32/WinFlash64 from the Acer BIOS 1.22 update:

Code:
    WinFlash64.exe /patch /slp OA3.BIN /exit
    Google around for a OA3.BIN file and then, using a hex editor, replace the key inside with yours. Flash and you should be done.