Bios Recovery Procedures

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by petar, May 9, 2008.

1. eyes.only

eyes.only MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2007
    I wrecked my asus p5q-pro bios with a faulty bios update (slic activation).
    I firstly updated the board to the original Asus 1104. This worked perfectly. I then updated the firmware using the asus windows flasher under XP and after reboot the board was dead. It did start and passed the self test, but then a big Cursor flickering appeared on the topleft side of my screen and that was it. Did all the known bios fix tricks, but without any luck. The system simply hung after boot up self test.

I RMA't the board and with the new one I again updated the bios with the same slic bios, but now under a clean dos environment. with the known afudos flash settings. The same problem accured :-( :-(.

Then I read the trick that someone did with the gigabyte board by short circuiting something on the board. After carefully studying my board I noticed the 8 pin chip that can be removed. I've read that it's the chip where the bios itself is stored. So I tried my luck and short circuited ofcourse in pairs of 2, starting at the bottom left side of the chip but nothing.
    Then I tried the top right 2 pins and started up the board.
    EUREKA :) The board went into bios recovery mode showing the whole procedure on my screen and popped in the asus cd that came with the board.
    Procedure went ok and after reboot problem fixed.

Click to enlarge. The 2 pins I short circuited are marked.
    View attachment 377

2. nijel

nijel MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Playing around with bus-powered USB hub I discovered another procedure for corrupting the BIOS and force the motherboard to flash recover by itself.
    I couldn't get an external, USB powered drive connected to that hub to be detected by Windows - not enough power supplied obviously. So feed the hub with 5V current from the PSU molex and everything worked great... till I shutdown the PC. At next bootup the BIOS was corrupted and autorecovered. That repeats at every power off/on cycle.
    What was causing it? Well... when the PC is powered off, the USB ports are still active and supplying 5V current to that PSU molex, which somehow goes to the motherboard circuit and corrupts the BIOS.
    So here is yet another force-BIOS-corrupting procedure - shut off the PC, apply 5V DC to the +red and -black molex pins on your PSU, power on the PC and you are in.:)
    BTW the board is GA-P35-DS4, rev.2.0

3. spacesnow

spacesnow MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2008
    Thank you for the lifesaving trick how to make bios recovering by connecting the legs of bioschip. I was already ultradepressed because my son's GA-x38-DQ6 was only giving a power cycling after correct(!) bios update. I used usb memory stick to update and everything was fine until reboot. It said update was succesful and rebooted but after that tried to recover bios from hdd and then started cycling on and off. Got me 14 hours to find this website here but it was worth of searching. BIG thanks guys!!!

4. tattootroy

tattootroy MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2008
    help me plz

i have a hp dv5150 laptop i edit bios in order to install a whitlisted mini pci-e card . the flash went through. then pheonix bios shhowed i lil screen saying will reboot in 5 seconds but it froze right there so i power off . now my lappy is dead. if i plug in power suply the dvd and speaker lights comes on . not the powwer.

i found this site . and tried all 4 method . only method 2 kinda worked. all the others . the usb floppy would bink once . and nothing more . with method 2
    the usb floppy light blinks for about 1 minuite and i can see that the laptop is reading the flappy . but it alwys stops and nothing else happends..
    i tried all bios firmware still no go

can you shed some more light on this for me

also i have source falty dv5000 lappy but the bios chip is differnet. my laptop has the 40 pin sst tsop . the faulty laptop has the older looking square SST chip with pin legs on all 4 sides i 32pin

i remember reading some where that a person soldered a 32 pin bios chip to a 40 pin tsop mother board . but i have dig down the web and i cant find a diagram of how to do it.
    so any one knows where i can find a diagram for it ?
    also the faulty laptop use AMD cpu . mine use intel. i checked both lappy bios on the hp site and they both look identical
    i would realty love some help .
    regards

5. explosion242

explosion242 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2008
    Compaq Presario V5000 wont boot up!!!

Hello, I was surfing the web the other day and my computer just froze up. It was completely unresponsive and I had to shut it down by holding down the power button. Since then it will not boot up. I should say that it would show the Windows splash screen like it was going to boot up and then it would just freeze. I tried this a couple of other times and I figured that I was going to have to reformat but I wanted to save some files first. I was able to boot up in safe mode and copy some files to a external hard drive and then I reformatted the computer. That worked and as I was doing updates to the clean install it froze again and I had to turn off and it would not reboot. I have tried to install a dual boot with Ubuntu which I used to use until I got rid of it. I thought that if it was the hard drive it would not let me install but it did. I was able to show the dual boot screen and was able to boot up Ubuntu. I then rebooted again and tried to boot xp home and it showed the screen for pc recovery so I let it run. Now I just get a flashing cursor in the corner. When I hit ESC it shows the PhoenixBios menu and when I go to check the HDD, it says it will take 2 minutes and then it just hangs up and goes on forever and I have to stop it. I also tried using GParted and it sees my hard drive and partitions. I am not sure if this is a hard drive issue, bios issue or what. I did replace the memory about a month ago but I have not had any issue since and that is the only thing I have ever done to this system.

Any advice, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    sounds more like the memory problem to me..or at least hardware other than the bios...:eek:

Try using the mem modules one at a time, or switching placement. Could be a lot of things, the bios is not what would come to mind for me..but maybe thats me..:rolleyes:

I would think that a memtest may help diagnose it, quicker to swap memory modules though...do you have the old ones still?

If you can use a live cd from LINUX then I wouldn't think it is as deep as the BIOS..I dont think anyway, there are WAY smarter people around here than me though..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. explosion242

explosion242 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2008
    Well, that is what my friend has said also. Just my luck, I dont have the old memory anymore. I usually keep stuff like that around but I went ahead and sold it. I bought the new memory from Crucial and they scanned my system and told me what I needed. That being said, I have installed Ubuntu and it seems to be working fine. I tried it out of desperation and now I think I will try and try to install windows. Maybe anything that was corrupted was fixed with the Ubuntu install? Hell, I dont know......I guess I will try and see what else happens.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Maybe the install of XP is corrupt and loading bad files??

Ubuntu most likely didn't correct anything (other than the XP install:D:p), although you could do worse than using this distro..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. explosion242

explosion242 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2008
    I am just worn out. I think I may be delusional!:D

I love linux but I have to have a windows pc for my work so I am going to try and install xp again. If I have anymore issues I will check the memory. But if memory was bad it would stay bad and not work sometimes and then not correct? Ughh....

I lOvE cOmpUteRS!!!!:confused:

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    run XP on a VM....virtualbox is nice and FREE!!!

I like it and use it..works very good..;):rolleyes:

11. tattootroy

tattootroy MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2008
    no input ?
    am guessing that no one had this problem before

god i wish i had a laptop with out wifi card whitelist

i also have a willem programer but i dont have a 40 pin tsop socket. any one knows where i can find a schematic of what pins used for flashing

12. explosion242

explosion242 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2008
    Well I tested each memory stick and they both seem to work. I tried to reinstall windows and it did not help. It started to freeze during the install. I tried to reboot and now I just get a blank screen. I can check the memory and the hard drive with backtrack 2 and they look fine.

I am not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions?

13. explosion242

explosion242 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2008
    Well, I noticed that when I was reformating my hard drive using gparted, it was freezing. I would think that is a memory issue even tho it appears that my memory has passed all the tests that I have thrown at it. I am going to return both sticks and have them replaced and see where that gets me.

14. explosion242

explosion242 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2008
    Right now I am using Memtest86+ v1.70 to see if either of the two memory sticks will fail. So far it has been on for 6:44 and no errors. I have heard of people running this for 2days+. I am going to do the same and see what happens. If anyone has any other ways to test memory please let me know.

Thanks for anyone who has helped so far!

15. opeeum69

opeeum69 MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2008
    So the bios flash for my hp dv5000t didn't work, and now I've tried using method 1 to recover the bios and here's what I get:

1. As soon as I plug in the power cord (while holding fn-b), the laptop turns on EvEn before I hit the power button, but the indicator light for the power on/off button is OFF, same with speaker lights; only the HDD light is ON, and so are the fans ON.

2. When I press win-b again (fn-b doesn't do anything for my model) after step 1 in the above (i.e. plugging in the power cord) the entire computer shuts down. And this time starting from scratch following posted instructions gets me to: nonstop continuous intervals of 3 consecutive beeps, HDD indicator light this time is OFF, and pretty much unsuccessful recovery

Am I close and am just missing some minor things? Does the 3 consecutive beeps mean anything? What I used is: USB FLASH (didn't have a usb floppy) with Method 1 (although I don't think the laptop ever got to the flashing part, it just kept on beeping)

The autoexec.bat file I used was the one from Method 2 (since Method 1 link was dead), and this .bat file is different from that of method 3 and 4 by not having the flag: BBL and Mode=3 or something like that

I'll try Method 2, 3 and 4 tomorrow, but since these are all pretty similar I thought I'd ask first

Thanks

16. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
  17. opeeum69

Jan 29, 2008
    Yea they did sound grouped, it might have been 1 beep followed by 2 beeps, but I forget, I'll try it again tomorrow since right now it's almost midnight and the beeps will probably wake everyone up, thanks again, I'll post my progress tomorrow, in about ~20hrs (have classes in the morning)

And thanks tattotroy too, I'll try to get a usb floppy tomorrow, and i'm in the states, so I'll probably try find something local too, but hopefully it won't get that far :)

18. opeeum69

Jan 29, 2008
    I bought a usb floppy from office depot, but the usb disk storage format tool can't see my usb floppy (The device drop down menu is grayed out), and only sees the usb flash disk I used yesterday (I tried both of my 2 usb ports), is there a workaround for this?

And when I tried to use the phoenix crisis recovery to create the floppy, there wasn't an option to add minidos, do i need minidos if I'm using the crisis recovery method? Thanks