Bios Recovery Procedures

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by petar, May 9, 2008.

1. Dark3mx

Dark3mx MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2013
    Heya BIOS experts, I have an issue.

While updating the BIOS on my Foxconn A55MX motherboard, I had a well-timed power outage, so my BIOS was corrupted.

It uses the AMI APTIO BIOS, and I've tried everything I've seen in this thread related to recovering it. Here's a list of what I've done;

Held these combinations:
    WIN + B
    WIN + R
    CTRL + HOME
    CTRL + END
    CTRL + DELETE

Used these file names;
    B73F1P02.ROM
    SUPER.ROM
    AMIBOOT.ROM
    BOOT.ROM
    RECOVERY.ROM
    BIOS.ROM

Flash Drive Formats;
    FAT
    FAT 32

Now, my PC starts up (sort of) seeing that my fans and lights come on, the "smart charge" feature of my motherboard works, since I can still charge my phone through USB, but I get no indication of my flash drive being accessed.

Another thing to note is that my internal speaker is making this odd crackling sound every couple of seconds as if it's trying to give me an error code, but failing horribly.

Now, I've removed both sticks of RAM to see if my speaker went bad or something, but it beeps as it should in that scenario.

Please, somebody help me. It's driving me crazy having this awesome computer sitting in front of me, virtually useless :C

**EDIT**

I've been doing some messing around with my BIOS chip, trying to short it to activate Boot Block, as one of the earlier posts in this thread state.

I've stumbled upon three scenarios.

First, this is a poorly done diagram of my BIOS pin layout, since I am unable to take a picture

1/[]\5
    2/[]\6
    3/[]\7
    4/[]\8

Now, if I short pins 1 and 2, my speaker "crackling" becomes more consistent, happening once every second or two.

Pins 2&3: Same as pins 1&2

Pins 3&4: Speaker does nothing

Pins 5&6: No difference from booting without short

Pins 6&7: Same as pins 1&2

Pins 7&8: Speaker does nothing.

During this process, I am still getting no indication of USB access, no monitor output, etc.

2. anagel4

anagel4 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2012
    programmer seeprog 2.25, I think that I found the bios chip - it`s 25Q16BVS1G (I broke one leg when made a reducer for programmator). is it compatible with SST25VF016B-75-4I-S2AF?

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ebay W25Q16BVSiG

4. godfather007

godfather007 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    Hello,

i'm trying to recover an axiom-tek pico system after a failed flash.

There's a working bootblock left inside the bios which i can use while pressing "flag-B".

This way i am able to boot from ... YES.... USB stick.

Got till the flashing program AWDflash.exe bios.wph /py /sn /cc /f
    but it stays on the message "please wait".

Tried several times, also my other BIOS stick. Even with flashrom.exe it hangs on "calculating loop delay".

Any idea?

Thanks,

martijn

5. Pe_Bo

Pe_Bo MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2013
    Supermicro X9SCL-F BIOS Recovery

I have Supermicro X9SCL-F motherboard. After BIOS update (using AFUDOSU and x9scm2.917) the MB is not working - it continuously beeps (5 short and 1 long). Is it possible to recovery the function?

I am tried recovery process with USB Flash and SUPER.ROM file, as described on Supermicro Website, but without success.
    I have another X9SCL-F thus I can obtain original BIOS image if required.

Thank you in advance!

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    looks like spi bios.
    u can try hotswap the chip in dos to flash.

or USB SPI Programmer cheapo like EN25T80 on ebay

7. anagel4

anagel4 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2012
    Toshiba Satellite C660D-186 Part No: PSC20E-00J018RU, Motherboard PWWBE LA-6849P Rev 2.0
    hi, I buy and flash W25Q16BVSiG, but it still don`t work. I think it`s becouse U13 - w25x20bvnig (256 kb) was flashing wrong file. what`s now flash here? I have no ideas, I was try ec.rom from the toshiba site (128kb) - not helping.
    I need dump U13 (w25x20bvnig 256 kb)

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    u made backup of it. 11.bin ?? (i have this file still)

i smoke weeed but daam u got bad memory in your head. :druff:

9. anagel4

anagel4 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2012
    u mean I repeat many times? :doh::rasta:
    I made it! three days searching and I found them :clap3:
    here is work dumps W25Q16 and W25X20 bios 1.50 (work only both!)

mega.co.nz/#!Z0QxBAKS!HbSFtEN_ldtGCVXjVMtWxCKp5CAPCkT6XhYbyScRKHo (delete space, download with google chrome only)
    LatinMcG, thanks for helping :cheers:

10. Ripshred

Ripshred MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2013
    Hi for the life of me I can not figure this out for my HP-G61327cl I have tried every method in here including a lot of other sights .Is there any way someone can email me or message me with step by step info and the correct files or mods to unbrick this machine.Thanks,Sorry if I wrote in the wrong area in an advance.

11. daithi81

daithi81 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2013
    I followed this to a tee for a HP Mini 210-2002sa, but it didn't work. The screen remained black on load up and the USB stick was flashing, which seemed to show that the PC was attempting to flash the BIOS, but then it just stopped and continued to boot as normal (which eventually leads to a BIOS error screen, as normal).

Currently, the USB stick contains 3660.BIN, which is taken from the latest HP BIOS Update for this model. Should it contain more than this?

12. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Great thread for BIOS recovery procedures, unfortunately all links from 1st post are long dead...

I want to try BIOS recovery on 2 laptops: HP Pavillion DV5175eu and Toshiba NB305-105 PLL3AE. Both power on but won't boot, I've already removed HDDs, tested memory sticks on other laptops, connected to external monitor, nothing worked, so it's either bad BIOS or bad motherboards. I hope it's the first... HP beeps when powered up while pressing Win+B with an USB stick in the left USB port, Toshiba's fan doesn't spin if I power it on while pressing Fn+B, so they're not completely dead. Can anyone help me find the necessary files to try BIOS recovery on both?

13. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Stupid memory slots... The memory worked fine on another laptop but not on the Toshiba... today I tested another memory and the damn netbook booted! And then again with the original memory! Arggh! I hate when I test things and then they start working out of the blue... Well, both HP and Toshiba are now booting normally, at least it was not a BIOS issue. Thanks for your help ;)

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    dirty pins on slot.

15. eduardoac_99

eduardoac_99 MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi everybody, my name is Edu, and I found this awsome forum googleing to find how to recover my acer aspire s3-391 bios...

I tried lots of procedures, but my BIOS never start updating or reflashing...and maybe it is because i dont really know which one is (phoenix, insyde....)

Anyone could help me with this?? Thanks in advance!!

:)

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its insyde method. fn esc with the proper filename HB2X64.fd

it came with windows 8 or 7 ?
    7 = version 1.2x
    8 = 2.xx