Bios Recovery Procedures

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by petar, May 9, 2008.

1. tvs001

tvs001 MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2010
    Hi,
    I try to recovery bios, but no use, please help!
    Samsung RV509, Phoenix Secure Core / ACPI 2.0. File BIOS.WPH sized 2.03M (Phoenix BIOS - New Style).
    I tried 5 methods in the first post, use Fn/Win + B/S/R/W/P/F/ESC, Home/End, 4 arrow, Jumper CRY (beside RTC), removed HDD, ODD.
    Any suggestion? Thanks !

Success Recovery:worthy:

Here is my case:

My Laptop produced in 4/2011, Phoenix SecureCore(tm) (OK with PHLASH 1.6.7 & 1.7.0.0 & 1.7.0.18, the others maybe).
    - Crewdriver.
    - USB Kington 101G2 4GB -> HP USB Format (Default FAT32, Don't check Quick Format) -> Just make sure USB clean & Clear.
    - WINCRISIS v4 run on XP (Thanks to Acerfans.ru).
    Note: v2 for FDD (XP); v3,4 for USB Flash. v3 XP, v4 -> XP, Vista, Win7. I think, v4 have new minidos/phoenix, support PHLASH16 new version (my guess, PHLASH16 v1.7.0.18 included in wincrisis v4). So go for v4.
    - Original ROM file: mine is 07PBB.ROM (2.03MB) -> Rename to BIOS.WPH -> copy to wincrisis v4 folder.
    - Run as admin (win v6), or just run wincrisis, choose my USB, don't select compress bin - this option is for FDD 1.44M and ROM size ~2M
    - On 'DEAD' laptop:
    + Turn off, unplug power cable, remove battery, push power button (for discharge all power), remove all external (USB devices, cable, etc).
    + Open case, remove HDD, ODD, RAM (If there more than 1 RAM)
    - Plug USB prepared in. Hold Win + B, Plug power in, count to 20, push power button, count to 30 and release.
    - Wait about ~5min, USB stop flash, wait more 5min, and 5min, it still run.
    - Push power button to turn off. Unplug power cable. Wait about 1min (push power button, fast discharge). This step must done.
    - Plug power, push power button, if every thing ok, you will see message no OS (I removed HDD :D)

Notes:
    - Most failed recovery cases is 'wrong' version PHLASH16, (Wincrisis 4 + PHLASH16 v1.7.0.0 (not 1.7.0.18 - have problems with old bios type) or 1.6.8.4 is the best (mostly)). My BIOS ok from 1.6.2 -> 1.7.0.18. MUST use the original BIOS.
    - Laptop lenovo/ibm, use e_bcpvpw.exe to extract *.FL1 to BIOS.WPH (I tried one on my old old laptop, search on this forum or google for e_bcpvpw). There are more than one file *.FL1, just try it all or search google for the right one.
    - Bootblock must not corrupt (so should update original bios in window, if you try to mod your own bios, and flash your mod bios in dos, skip bootblock, don't use /BBL).
    - BIOS must in state CRISIS (corrupted, no HDD, ODD) + hardware signal or use key combination. Phoenix BIOS key combination in most cases is Fn+ESC, but mine is Win+B (maybe Fn+B, not sure after 3 night, try to recovery bios).
    I tried RTC, CRY jumper before. I tried with USB PQI 512M, with wincrisis v3 + PHLASH16 v1.7.0.0, but no use (don't know because USB or wincrisis). So feel free to try all.
    - Make sure your USB ports is OK before, all internal cable is OK, in my case one usb port is dead (after plug, and unplug in 2 night :biggrin5:), so try another ports.
    - I failed with USB PQI 512M but ok with KT 4G (I guessed because I 'modded' chip on that USB once). So buy a new USB (KT is good & cheap, 4G~$5, 2G~$3).
    - Make sure your laptop is passes warranty date. If not just send to warranty for good.

Original files from Acerfans_ru, mirror by me:
    Wincrisis v2,3,4: www_box_com/s/vrdfcs8agqdymenz2dj1
    PHLASH16 collection: www_box_com/s/rih0bhyvdc19xih2w0l8

Read mores and original links at: (Free to use google translate).
    forums_mydigitallife_info/threads/29533-solved-samsung-rv409-crisis-bios-recovery
    acerfans_ru/faq/page,1,2,1400-bios-voprosy-po-proshivke-i-vosstanovleniyu-bios.html

Thanks to all, thanks to google. :clap3:

PS.
    - Replace _ with , in link (I can't post link, not enough post?)
    - If fails all, just bring it to reprogram bios, about ~ $5-10, and 1hrs (max) if they have equipment and rom file, at big shop, this is not problem. My bios is new type, so only option is replace it, really expensive. But time is money, so don't waste. Bring it to shop, ask for replace laptop, and remove your hdd and use hddbox to continue your work, if time need to fix is too long (at my place, this is normal).

@mod or petar: my notes maybe useful and if you also think that, please add a links to the first posts.

2. jt27

jt27 MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2013
    hi all very new here and heres the story.

My mums toshiba Equium p200d-139 was having issues where pit kept saying that there was a lack of memory even though every thing was removed.. i used the recovery disc supplied with the laptop restored it to factory and all was good.
    Seeing as though i had the laptop i thought it best top do all the windows updates and update all drivers.. after doing this i checked for a bios update which i found and started to install when the laptop/notebook froze half way through.
    The laptop now turns on but theres no screen and i can get the crisis recovery thing to work as i get the pinky light..

What i'm hoping is that someone can direct me to the files to create a recovery disk to get it working...

Thanks in advanve..

JT

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    model number of the device might help.. most tablets flash with volume up and power on.. if its android tablet.

sounds like youre treating it as a pc when its a regular tablet.

4. anju

anju MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2013
    It is an Atom Z670 Tablet with Windows 7 (8) installed: "Motion Computing CL900"
    I've tested several filenames and keypress combinations, but I believe there must be a specific filepath or software on the USB-device.
    One problem I see is the filename which will be showed from the phoenixtools - it has 9 characters and ".f?" as Extension:
    "PVX00IA32.f?" So I tried also VX00IA32.fd, PVX000IA3.fd, PVX0.fd, IA32.fd - and everything as *.bin and *.rom...

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    PVX00IA32.fd

6. anju

anju MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2013
    HI,
    I've got a recovery procedure for the CL900 from the german distributor. It's the same I figured out:
    put the PVX00IA32.fd (renamed PVX1GA01.fd for 1GB memory or PVX2GA01.fd for 2GB memory - both from BIOS-version A01)
    on an USB stick.

remove powercord
    press security button
    insert powercord
    press power
    release security button

Now the recovery should work.

But not in my case - means the bootblock in the BIOS is damaged :-(
    The distributor will flash it, if I send the tablet to them...

Thanx
    Andreas

7. tbonedaddy

tbonedaddy MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2013
    It's a laptop and so far I haven't found a jumper near the cmos battery, I also checked under the ram sticks. If anyone knows if there is one or how to bridge a jumper for the Gateway P-6860FX motherboard then I sure like to know.

I have the correct bios burned and can boot but still locked out of admin areas of bios so the reinfection of windows cannot be stopped.

I could try the crisis recovery mode but from what I've read that doesn't reset the flash ram that's keeping the settings preserved.

8. lostdongle

lostdongle MDL Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Any chance someone can re-link method 2-5 ... all the links to rapidshare are down. Thanks in advance.

9. Fanchen

Fanchen MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2013
    Bricked Thinkpad E535

Hi,

I've bricked my Lenovo Thinkpad E535 a while ago when I was trying to update its BIOS. I've searched for days for a method to recover it, and I made some progress, but I still didn't manage to get it to work again.

It seems the "usual" methods don't work as it's a UEFI-BIOS. I've read in this forum about a way to recover it anyway (hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/870-Bios-Recovery-Procedures/page81?p=431731&viewfull=1#post431731) (sorry, can't post links), but I haven't had luck with that at all (as I have no idea how to obtain the necessary files).

What I did find out is the key combination to press so devices are searched, it's Fn+R. When pressing that while plugging in the power, USB flash drive and the DVD drive are searched repeatedly. But it seems that having the Bios file I downloaded from Lenovo and renamed to BIOS.CAP on the pen drive isn't enough... I really am out of ideas and hope someone here can help me.

Fanchen

10. eirearmenia

eirearmenia MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Let me know which is OS
    what is model of 3260 type?

11. Fanchen

Fanchen MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2013
    I think the model was 32607AG (I'm german, no idea if there are different models).
    If by OS you mean Operation System, I was using Ubuntu, otherwise, please explain what you need :D

12. eirearmenia

eirearmenia MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Why do you update BIOS, and what is a new one. I couldn't find any for this model under Linux or DOS

13. Fanchen

Fanchen MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2013
    I tried to update it because the battery was drained pretty quickly.
    hxp://support.lenovo.com/de_DE/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT074007 is an example for a Bootable CD image which I used to update the BIOS.

14. Fanchen

Fanchen MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2013
    That didn't help - as I mentioned, the keys to press are probably Fn+R as it's not a desktop machine (I guess), at least that causes the pen drive to be searched (no beeps at all, though). However, nothing seems to be found, I don't know if the file is wrong or the name or what it is.

15. Serg008

Serg008 MDL BIOS/EFI Guru

Feb 23, 2010
    What version of the bios was installed before the flashing: 1.xx (for Win7) or 2.xx (for Win8) ?
    Try this trick: download the proper bios (hhuj0xww), unpack with innounp tool, then:
    1. Clear the USB key (FAT32 formatted).
    2. Rename the *.FL1 as BIOS.cap.
    3. Put the file in the folder named crisis to the USB key.
    3. Plug it in the target machine.
    4. Press Fn+R+"power button" to power on the system.

16. Fanchen

Fanchen MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2013
    It was 1.something, but that (exact) version isn't available anymore. I tried your method with both the hhuj02ww and hhuj04ww, but no luck... just the same thing again. Even tried burning it to a CD, but still the same. I guess I'll really have to call the Lenovo support. :|
    Well, thanks for the help. :)

Fanchen