Bios Recovery Procedures

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by petar, May 9, 2008.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #1401 LatinMcG, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    hmm i havent done this type but i do know the .ROm in DOS folder can be flashed with USB SPI programmer.

however this should have some recovery from USB which i havent seen.

i see its INSYDE type so filename is BIOS.cap from .WPH

Code:
    BIOS.cap....EL TORITO SPECIFICATION.CD001
    and Fn ESC key combination likely

2. L.Ryu

L.Ryu MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2013
    i have the same problem with my Aspire 4752G... after fresh installation of O.S and Drivers.... i went to update the BIOS that was downloaded from acer support site... then automatically rebooted after finishing the bios update, but never post... i tried all the solutions i could get from the net... tried HP-DOS solution... and even the CRISIS DISK... i even followed the steps properly... but my thumb drive just stayed lighted... never went to processing, i even shorted the bios battery for 10 seconds just to clear the cmos... THE QUESTION is.... What am I missing??? is it really needed to use the Crisis Disk Recovery Disk... if so... is it really the Fn + Esc key the only way to access a BLIND FLASH?

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try WIn + B

also the .ROm file is ful size for the 4Mb chip. .. u can use a USB SPI programmer like EN25T80 and SOIC8 test clip... use a rubber band to hold it down on chip.

dont forget to make a backup.bin first of all!!

4. L.Ryu

L.Ryu MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2013
    so it simply means that i have no other way around than the use of USB SPI Programmer?

5. alandica

alandica MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2012
    Hello i have a Lenovo x100e that failed in bios flashing the power on light, fan, harddrive goes on and usb blinks when i start the computer but nothing more happens i tried to make an crisis usb stick with extrakted fl1 and bios.wph but it does not seems to work any ideas?

6. rkpdesi

rkpdesi MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2014
    I have Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422, vista32 and tried to update bios with windows(me stupid!) and it failed and became brick. It can power, fan on and that's it. I have another HP vista32 laptop and used it to create the usb to reflash. It all failed so far. I don't have external floppy; I do have only usb flash drive or external cd rom drive. Internal cd drive not working and it just tries to spin and spin.
    1. I created bootable usb flash with hp format method and copied (phflash16 and latest bios) from Toshiba. Followed instructions - removed battery, put in ac wire, pressed Fn + F, nada no luck. FN B, W F or B, no nothing.
    2. Tried with external cd drive. It spin with FN F but did not do anything.
    2. I tried recovery disk method, but wincris.exe 1.0.0.4 on vista32 does not recognize usb flash. Says, floppy not found.

Does wincris.exe work on usb flash/pen drive? Does it work only ext floppy?
    thanks for your help!!

7. tuah

tuah MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    I have old HP Compaq desktop dx2718mt (KM255AV). After update bios it fail to boot and just show blinking cursor. I have try every tutorial to recovery the bios but it won't work. Please anyone who knows to solve the problems tells me what to do. Thanks. :worthy:

8. mmjp

mmjp MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    Acer m7720

I flash acer m7720 from windows, half way hang. :eek:
    no way ! and reboot the box noting come out only 2 tone can hear.
    tried to recover with USB flash, USB floppy, USB CD, Internal CD ( SATA ) no luch.
    There is no activity on USB.....
    both USB Keyboard and PS2 did't respond at all ;) remove BIOS_CONFIG also same.

Is there any clue that can be recover ? :worthy:

9. JollyGreenJoint

JollyGreenJoint MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2014
    Having a similar problem to many, Gateway mx 3410/ mt 3420/ w340ua series. Bricked phoenix bios, blank screen, fan spins, cd rom is accessed making me think the basic bios is still intact. My problem is I cannot trigger bios crisis recovery mode, possibly there is a unique key press for these mobo's / models ? All the regular ones don't work, the usb stick is not being accessed AT ALL no matter which port I use or which listed key combo I try. Since the cd rom light flashes a few times at startup, is there a way to make a phoenix crisis recovery iso ? Is it possible to determine the correct key press from the bios file ? If nothing else would it be possible to short pins on the bios chip itself to force crisis recovery mode, im pretty sure there's a chip data sheet.
    Exact motherboard model : Gateway part # 4001189R / 40GAB1200-C510
    HannStar J MV-4 94V-O 0631

Bios Chip: SST 39VF080 ; 70-4C-EIE ; 0644156-K

Made a post about this in bios-mods forum but I cant link because im under 20 posts here :(

10. JollyGreenJoint

Feb 26, 2014
    Have been burning crisis recovery .iso's because the cd rom seems to be the only thing accessed, but I don't think im recreating exactly what wincris.exe is doing. I'm using the file CRISBOOT.BIN as the bootable image, but the iso program wont let me use that bin file under any kind of emulation but "none". Keeps telling me the files size doesn't match the expected xxxx kb for any various emulation method. I am a total newb at this and cant find any solid info for making a wincris CD/.iso I've tried a few burned cd's using just wincrisis files or using just files provided by gateway and a combination of the two, same thing cd spins up reads light goes off and that's it, but no flashing! Any help with the correct way to create a win crisis .iso would be greatly appreciated :)

11. Targitai

Targitai MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2013
    Hello all. I have Thinkpad Z61t. I tried to restore bios, but I can't understand where I can get bios.wph???
    I downloaded bios update utility from Lenovo and extract it. I have 2 files: $01A9000.FL1 and $01A9000.FL2 So which one I must rename and put into usb stick? Or what else do I must?

12. albert67

albert67 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2008
    Bios recovery for Acer Veriton x270

Hello!
    while I was tring to "slic" the bios something went wrong and now anytime my Acer Veriton X270 (Desktop) boots it says that the cmos is corrupted ...
    So I try to recover the bios (AMI) using the metods 1 and 2 on the first post, but no luck! :-(
    Actually I have used a usb stick because I don't have a usb floppy disk.
    If I press the ctrl+home keys the screen stay black and the pc beeps every 2 seconds, and does not seems to be any activity on the usb stick.
    Should I try to get a usb floppy ? or there are other metods to recover the bios of this machine ?
    Thanks for the help.
    Regards
    Albert

13. vayjay

vayjay MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Problem: BIOS recovery after failed BIOS update
    BIOS: Insyde
    Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L300D-01P (model no: PSLC8C)

I got a black screen after an failed BIOS update on Toshiba Satellite L300D-01P (model no: PSLC8C). I am in the process of recovering the BIOS by inserting a 2 GB USB formatted to FAT and using Windows 98 boot files with the HP Disk Storage format tool. I have nothing copied onto the USB, but I have 3 BIOS files to choose from:

from Toshiba Support website: PSAP180.fd
    modded PSAP180.fd from your BIOS mods thread: Satellite_L300D_L350D_PSLE8E_v180
    modded PS10A170.fd from your BIOS mods thread: Toshiba_Satellite_L300D_PSLCxx_1.70

I am having trouble getting the broken laptop to boot from USB (ie. the usb drive light does not light up to show it's working) after trying several different key combinations and programs and failing (my attempts are documented here: bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528473/toshiba-satellite-l300d-black-screen-on-boot-bios-problem/#entry3322752).

In summary, I tried Gparted to format the usb into a floppy drive, the wincrisis with phlash16 method. Now I want to attempt to use HP Disk format to modify the drive. But I don't which of those 3 BIOS to use and what I should name them (Do I name them all BIOS.FD?!?)

I considered using phoenix tool to make my own modded BIOS because I read in these forums that you can get the computer to boot from a USB instead of Windows by modifying an RW report, but I finding SLICs and RWeverything reports for my BIOS are confusing me. So I will try this if this HP method doesn't work for me.

Thanks for your time.

14. JollyGreenJoint

Feb 26, 2014
    Hey im a page back with the same problem diff machine/bios though (gateway/phoenix). At the front page of this thread theres a "Hidden Insyde Method" just under the phoenix listings, I believe u have to name the file something particular and u can find that name by using andy p's tool ( how I have no f**king clue srry :/, same as you, without a comprehensive tutorial don't know what half that s**t is) But anyway you rename the bios file to the "Special" name and that's all you should need, without any supporting files. Use the file from Toshiba's website ! and post back with any success's or failure's. On a different note thanx eirearmenia but I did not find any info at those locations about a wincrisis.iso . I'm starting to think the bios is not in crisis mode and key press's are not making it enter it either. I've already got other boards and am more or less mothballing this board with bricked bios until I can desolder the chip and have it reprogrammed :(

15. eirearmenia

eirearmenia MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2010