bios slic 2.1 just kicked off

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by armada, Nov 13, 2009.

1. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2008
    #21 wild_andy_c, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    I'm ex EPoX technician - there is not such thing as CMOS chip. CMOS is bytes of data in usually LPC & SB (IO). They do get reprogrammed by ACPI routines (for S states) but not by Windows Anytime upgrade. And don't confuse CMOS with BIOS.

What seems to be riddled out by latest MS Malicious Software update is the non-parity check string flags of SLIC ID versus other BIOS group rom ID for vendor.

So it looks like like for like SLIC (Dell on Dell) etc should be okay. For MSI on MSI to be not okay seems like we might see more MSI issues arise showing more possible parity errors.

Perhaps SLIC 2.1 involves SLIC, xml cert and BIOS scan in what is equivalent to award x group and y group rom for parity.

In this case need to get to the bottom of the MSI thing.

2. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    correct though msi-msi but using a asus key now was using the dell key since we do not have a msi key yet.

happened twice though even after reinstall of the cert and key it did the same thing again. now both times it happened while watching a video in media player which is what is confusing me

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2008
    Key not an issue as not linked to xml cert - just tells windows what version is required to be installed when its oem.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Dude, I do not think I would trust you with anything, and especially not with any PC or anyhthing that relates to it!

sebus

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I dont think this is an update issue...although I dont know what it is as of yet, nor do I have a hypothesis other than conflict with some software, codecs, or drivers..

@sebus.....That s*&t is funny right there....:D:D:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2008
    Very right sebus - I was going to go further re. sam3971 - when you know so little about mainboards (you would not say MOTHERboards) you should really keep quiet.

Usually a mere few bits out of 256 CMOS bytes get written to for S3/S1 in majority of instances and are cleared on wake. Things like KBPO and Wake on LAN also obviously.

Stories of so called technicians who work in system builders or shops who think they know a little bit of something that I could tell you from my years (dating back to the early 90's) are almost what could make folk-lore! Some folk get ideas of grandure and have no idea what a mainbord tech is - does sam3971 have a hot air rework station and Iwatsu silly - doubt it. That's what a tech is. I remember days of speeding around southern Holland in a Toyota Starlet with my 2 Taiwanese colleagues when EPoX was strong in Wadinxveen, don't think Sam3971 can say the same or quote his company he is a tech for.

7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    When I refer to the CMOS chip I mean the chip that has all the bios information and all the other information that tells your motherboard how to do things. There is a small memory chip on every motherboard that holds the bios information along with additional information based on the individual computer. That is what I am referring to. On OEM computers with win7 and I believe vista have the licensing information on that same chip that tells your copy of windows how to activate based on the information that the OEM manufacture placed on the motherboard. That is what I was referring to dude.

8. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2008
    #28 wild_andy_c, Nov 13, 2009
    1st its not the cmos chip.
    2nd CMOS is not held in the eeprom which is what you actually and wrongly refer to
    3rd What mainboard manufacturer do you work for I can check.

9. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    Ihate to says this but ms can use the key used to see if the slic match by the pid number like acer 2.1 acer cert dell key dont match = flag:confused::confused: the last numbers are given to acer 00006

10. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2008
    Did thread originator use MSI dedicated key ? I'm not backtracking to first page - other than the media DRM trigger thats in other posts this thing needs to be purely investigated and lots more input needed from other "suffer-ers".

11. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    there is no msi key

12. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    This maybe happening to look at the pic below of two mods :confused::confused:

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I actually do private work with my grandfather and he told me a lot about those chips and what they are for dude.

14. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Hey dude, couldn't you rule that flag out by using lets say Dell SLIC, a Dell Cert, and a Dell key? as long as they all match won't it work just fine?

15. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    i dont think so if the oem data in the bios says something like it says in the two pics he posted it would put up a red flag also

tell me who has a gateway dell computer :p

16. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, I am really not 100% sure on this, I just know that one motherboard had things like that in it. Maybe a custom mobo or something. I am just trying to help on what I know and see if it helps people out. I am not completely sure on how M$ can even detect things like this other then what brainsuck mentioned. All I know is that they are doing it somehow.

17. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2008
    No one does private work as MB tech b$hitter. TROLL. Get back to your day job with apu.

18. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    your the bulls**tter here

did you ever think that someone might be smart enough to run their own business?

19. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2008
    Haha senior member you just backtracked on a mainboard engineer who watches over the forum. If you can't see the rain on the window don't say its dry out there.

20. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2008
    #40 wild_andy_c, Nov 13, 2009
    First things first - can you prove I've not worked for EPoX ?

Mind your user reputation don't get shattered in the process young boy.