Bios to big for Floppy

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by djs, Jul 22, 2008.

1. djs

djs MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    I've just bought an Asus P5Q3 Deluxe and the bios is 2mb so it won't fit on a floppy disk.
    I can't for the life of me understand how to make a CD bootable with afudos and the modded bios on. I also can't see how to make the bios recognise a usb stick.
    Last MB I succesfully flashed with a modded bios P5WDH deluxe.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    David.

2. Fzeven

Fzeven MDL Guru

May 8, 2007
    Make a bootable usb stick, on boot press F8, select usb stick as boot device.
    I think that should work.

3. djs

djs MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    Thanks for your quick reply Fzeven.

Until now i thought I was computer literate. !!!!

Pressing f8 brings up the menu to select the usb.
    I can't seem to make it bootable, I've tried with HP USB disk storage and a boot set of files ( from a web help site), but the HP utility formats the drive, but will not write the boot files to it.
    I've also looked at Bart PE, but can't understand it.
    Copying files from a boot floppy doesn't work either.

Can you give me a set of fairly easy to follow instructions please.
    David.

4. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #4 offon7544, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. djs

djs MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    Thank you offon7544 for your help and instructions.

Unfortunately I still can't get it. Using your boot disk, it shows as writing to the floppy and completes, but the floppy is blank, no files on it. I've tried several disks as well.
    Can I use a boot floppy that I have and then create the image from it with winimage ?
    I've tried that already, but I can only get winimage to save a 1.44mb not the 2.88mb, I alter the option, but the resulting image is only 1.44mb.

Most pc problems that I get are usually quickly solved by 'google', but making a boot cd or flash drive to update my bios has got me beat.

Thanks again,
    David.

6. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. djs

djs MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    Thanks for all of the help, I've finally managed to flash bios from a bootable memory stick.
    I used the HP USB disk storage format tool.
    What foxed me was that there isn't any files showing, I thought that nothing was being written, once I found the flash disk was bootable adding afudos and the modded bios then flashing was easy.

8. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    thats probably because they have 'hidden' attributes...you will need to go to tools/folder options/view and uncheck 'hide protected system files and then check 'show hidden files and folders'