Bios update question.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by rmittal, Feb 27, 2010.

1. rmittal

rmittal MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    #1 rmittal, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    I just got a new Acer Aspire 5740 2 days back. I installed Win7 Ultimate on it. I went to acer support site to find out any updated software on its site. There I found 2 updates for my bios.

ver 1.10 http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...ep3=Aspire 5740&OS=722&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=AAP_2
    &
    ver 1.16 http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...ep3=Aspire 5740&OS=722&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=AAP_2
    My system has ver 1.09

Now I want to know what is the best way to update the bios. I came across some posts telling to do it in pure Dos rather than in windows. So how can one go to pure Dos.

I believe the above Bios files already contains SLIC 2.1 can anybody confirm this.

I also wanted to know one more thing. In the above bios files I am directed to start Flash.bat file which in turns calls KBC.bat which flashes/programs something then it calls Bios.bat which uses phlash16.exe to flash/program something. While searching on the forum for Bios modding people only refer to a single bios flashing application like phlash16.exe. Then why this update calling 2 apps to do the update.

I am very much confused and would really appreciate if someone can enlighten me.

Regards.

2. rmittal

rmittal MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    Its almost a day and no reply.

If anyone can help me please reply.

Thanks.

3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #3 NoJuan999, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. drool

drool MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    It appears that your BIOS update downloads are able to work within either DOS, 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows.

From what I can see by looking at the .bat files (which are text files), it will try to do a Windows BIOS flash but will do nothing within bare DOS - this flash program will fail to run at all. It will then try, instead, to do a flash update within DOS.

If it's a new Acer Aspire designed to run Windows 7 then it already has SLIC 2.1. This part you need not worry about.

These days, booting DOS means do so off of a USB memory stick since nobody uses a floppy drive anymore. The beginning of this thread gives links for downloading tools and instructions to make the USB stick be able to boot a DOS clone.

Again, if your Acer Aspire was designed for Windows 7, everything you may want to do with the BIOS can be done legiitimately. You are not taking your PC out of spec unlike, presumably, most people here. This is why we're trying to be very, very careful with what we're doing. We don't want to create any irreparable damage.

Do what the Acer instructions tell you to do.

5. rmittal

rmittal MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    Thanks for the reply Drool,

I did an update from dos by creating a dos flash drive and putting the Bios files for version 1.16 and updated without any issue.

However 2 updates were performed as I mentioned in my first post.

Although my laptop is designed for Win7 the bios update didn't give me SLIC 2.1. (My laptop came with Linux, however other model with same model no. 5740 is available with Win7HP and BIOS to be downloaded is also same). However when I try to open the bios file with PhoenixTool.exe it gives a dialog box after processing the files as "Complete SLIC (2.1) (ACRSYSACRPRDCT ANNI) in ACPI05.ROM (x1)" which make me to believe that the Bios files may contain SLIC 2.1 but somehow the update has been programmed not to update SLIC table when Bios is updated. So I would like to know if anyone can confirm this.

Thanks.

6. drool

drool MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    #6 drool, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    I don't know what to tell you. This is beyond my expertise.

Are you SURE that you don't have SLIC 2.1? Have you tried this tool?