Biostar TA790GXBE board has stopped powering up

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by doveman, Aug 4, 2012.

1. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Thanks, I'll certainly try and fix it but I can't see any obviously blown/bulging caps. I'll probably get another PSU for this system anyway and if I can fix this one keep it as a spare, as I need to put something reliable in my brother's system.

If by "inner power button" you mean the button on-board the motherboard, that stopped working some time ago but a switch connected to the FP header still worked, so I assumed that the button had just gone faulty but when the FP header stopped working as well, I thought perhaps there was a fault/crack in that area of the board that had spread.

2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    nope.. actually onboard button broke and then PSU broke.. not FP button I suppose :D yep, by inner I meant onboard. blown cap looks like
    16859.jpg
    blowncap.jpg
    bad_cap.jpg

check the ones near wires which are going out of PSU... and sometimes they're under glue.. :)

3. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Thanks. Yeah, it doesn't help that they slap glue all over the place, making it hard to see if something's leaking :)

I'll check them thoroughly but probably if ones gone they're all poor quality and I should replace the lot with some decent ones (assuming I can buy decent ones easily and cheaply).

4. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    #44 gabris[LT], Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    strange.. it should be seen through glue.. replace just broken ones.. ;) no need to replace all of them..
    I usually use tweezers to remove glue ;) but be careful.
    Also do you know how to read their values from them?

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @doveman:I wouldn't bother trying to fix the PSU. There are so many other components that could have gone bad: Not only caps.
    And you don't have a schematic.

Switching regulators are tricky business.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...