Bitlocker on Windows Home Server

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by swmspam, Feb 23, 2012.

1. swmspam

swmspam MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2012
    So I'm a bit of a security wonk. Probably because my tools (laptop, desktops, NAS) contain client data, tax records, etc. Laptop theft becomes identify theft, or worse, industrial espionage. So my laptop is encrypted, and portable HDD is an Apricorn Padlock.

But in the case of a break-in, which has happened to me, if the desktops or NAS are stolen, a two-bit thug becomes an identity thief. Although the desktops don't contain much information (it is stored on the NAS), I have encrypted the workstations. The NAS needs to be somewhat secure. Physical location is important - inconvenient for a casual thief. However, I'd expect a stolen server to appear on ebay or a pawn shop, and end up in somebody's hands - with the data still intact - and the buyer who is savvy enough to buy a server is probably savvy enough to peek at the data.

Does WHS use BitLocker? If a WHS box is stolen, and the drives are unencrypted, that is unacceptable exposure. I keep important documents - life insurance policies, homeowners policy - in a safe deposit box. Why leave your tax records, credit card information, and your health insurance records vulnerable to theft if somebody breaks in, spots a nice little computer, and walks out with it?

2. swmspam

swmspam MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2012
    The screenshot is particularly interesting because the OS drive is BitLocked. That's the trick. I can BitLock a HDD using my Windows Ultimate workstation, and then insert that drive into a non-Ultimate machine as the D: drive. Windows Professional recognizes and uses a BitLocked drive, it just can't create it. It also can't BitLock itself (C: drive).

Evidently, WHS 2011 can BitLock itself. The screenshot shows the OS drive (C:) BitLocked.