Bitlocker Without TPM in Win7 - No password option?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Cab0oze, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Cab0oze

Cab0oze MDL Novice

May 22, 2020
    #1 Cab0oze, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Hey all,

I've searched a lot, but I have a hard time imagining that this isn't an option, given it's an option on Windows 8.

I'm trying to secure my desktop PC data so that I don't have to worry about it being stolen (I live in a sketchy neighborhood). I thought using a password was the default level of security with bitlocker - turns out I was wrong. TPM is a must, without some gpedit changes to allow a USB key. My problem is, I just discovered that there is no option to use a USB key WITH a password either!

Am I missing something? There is no point in having a USB key permanently plugged in, or a TPM module permanently installed if the case that has these items is stolen. My number one way of securing my data would be the password, but it seems this isn't an option without the TPM module. Is there really no other way? I would rather not have to plug a USB stick in every time I want to start my computer, it's a nuisance, seems like it would wear down the connection from constant use, and chances are the one day the computer gets stolen is the one day I forget the key in there.

I can't believe it's this complicated to secure my drives.

I could buy a TPM for $20, but it seems like a waste of money since it won't be adding any real security for the money, and it means that if my motherboard fails I won't be able to access my drives anymore from another PC... I think. This is all so needlessly complicated, makes me think I should just stop being paranoid about my PC being stolen. Wish it had a kensington lock slot so I could just chain it to the desk and be done with it.

Oh, and yes, I know Win10 would probably sort this out for me, but I run 10 on a virtual PC just for testing purposes and hate it too much to "upgrade" to it. In fact, the 2004 update pretty much bricked it, and there is nothing on the virtual PC except the windows installation. GG MS.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. Cab0oze

Cab0oze MDL Novice

May 22, 2020
    To which part? All of it? lol

I spent more time looking into TPM modules for my mobo, and to make matters worse it seems as though there is no real firmware updates available for download to fix that major TPM security flaw... which means even if I did buy a TPM module there's no guarantee it would even do it's job. Honestly I'm just kind of wondering what most people do to secure their data now... nothing?