Black screen after installing 8.1 Update 1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MrMagic, Apr 13, 2014.

1. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    seems that the os partition cannot be accessed. Bro should try to access drive with external tools off boot and extract any valuable data if any and bite the dust. Had such version lately and a bunch of tears because a lot of work to be done again but os blabla'ed and acepted a new refresh only which led to something like a clean install. All programs were gone except some files could be found and an icon on desktop showed everything been deleted. This was not supposed to happen but sh!t happens sometimes

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    HINT: The recovery CMD is a bit different to the normal one. To switch to another patition it only needs to enter C:. To go deeper one will need the cd command.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    His data is safe, he can just reinstall 8.1 without formatting and it will all be moved to C:\Windows.old - but he has a lot of stuff installed so we're trying to salvage that install before giving up

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Yeah ... curious now, if that helps ... :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Unfortunately that command to revert pending etc didn't work - and me being miles away doing this over email it's not easy to know exactly what is going on his side

He's given up, gonna reinstall without formatting and just copy his data over from windows.old

Cheers for the help

@Microsoft - Pull your F*!*!*!*ng finger out you useless T*4TS

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #26 s1ave77, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    To get this to an better end the next time, it's possible to remove updates via Win RE :D. Needed to figure out the correct way though ... matter of time, as always.

Installed the KB2919355 in a VM, then tried to remove. First time i didn't define a scratch directory, so the removal failed miserably and led to a nice BSOD at start up :cool2:.

So that's the procedure, seems there is no need to navigate to any partition with that commands, only to find the Windows partition and a partition with some space left as scratch dir.

To show installed packages:

Code:
    dism /image:d:\ /get-packages
    Copy the unwanted package name by marking it and hit enter, paste later via right click.

Remove unwanted package:

Code:
    dism /image:d:\ /scratchdir:f:\ /remove-package /packagename:TheLongPackageNameGoesHere
    remove.packeges.in.RE.jpg

Reboot afterwards, during startup the package will be removed. The 'Installed Updates' feature in WU shows the success :good3:.

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Having major problems now - Windows setup can see his HDD, but when he tries to install to it, it tells him it can't find the volume label or locate the volume - something along those lines, just waiting on a screen of the error to know for sure

Looks like this update seriously fooked the partition up, Im not sure he's gonna be able to save his data, his HDD is 2 x SSD in RAID0

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Would guess something f**cked up the RAID 0 (nasty stripe RAID) :g:.

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I think the update has corrupted the partition in some way, messed up the drive label, killed windows

It does boot partially to the point he has a mouse cursor, but that's it - nothing else is possible from the black screen, no keyboard command or anything

RAID0 is super fast, but not great when things go wrong

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Yep, indeed. When it breaks you'll need to start from scratch, without the chance to save any data.

Afaik needs to rebuild the RAID in BIOS/UEFI and start over :g:.

11. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Sounds like a hosed bootloader. (Unless you mean mouse pointer)

12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea cursor = mouse pointer - bootloader is ok, windows is borked

13. jazzar

jazzar MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2012
    This just happened to me f#_ck u microsoft im very sad all me installed apps and games are gone same situation as op and my os is legit ahhhhhhhhhhhhhbb!!!!

14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  15. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Windows 8 rebooted to a black screen and cursor only Google this and I think you'll find it may have something to do with graphic drivers.

16. jazzar

jazzar MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2012
  17. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I have a GTX 650 and have experienced that same issue several times. I wish I could tell you how to fix it, but I never really narrowed the issue down.
    I would suggest installing the OS, installing the latest graphic drivers WITHOUT being connected to the internet - no guarantees - ;)

18. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Did you update the drivers via WU? Saw that it offers nVidia drivers, but never used that way myself.

19. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    UPDATE: - The error message he got trying to reinstall Windows gave us a clue that it was a drive issue

Unplugged his storage drives and it let him use system restore, straight back into the broken windows, un-broken and working fine again

Update was uninstalled during the system restore and Windows update says no updates available - which can only be a good thing

Problem fixed without wiping

20. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    MDL FTW. Good job MrMagic.
    :closed: