Black Vipers Windows 10 Service Configurations (VERY USEFUL INFORMATION)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AcuraTML, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audioboxer

Audioboxer MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2008
    Black Viper has been around for absolutely ages. I'm more surprised than anything when someone on a Windows platform who regulars in a tech based forum doesn't know the name. That said I'm in my late 20's and if you're younger it would be understandable that you may not have heard of him. After his XP services guide got popular most of the information he passed on got regurgitated all over the web, and as you know 90% of the web never gives sources/credit.

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have a hard time believing so many folks never heard of BV, I've used his configuration settings before with XP many years ago. I also reference Black Viper for tweaking Vista, 7 and 8.
    Thanks for the heads up on 10!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    It's mostly because I don't eat Windows for breakfast.

Edit: That and I never found this whole "tweaking" necessary until Win10.

4. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    Wow, I didn't know BV was still around, he's been doing this sort of thing for years, back to at least 2000, maybe even before that.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @TCM: It's a different kind of tweaking. We try to squeeze as much performance out of our PCs because the programs that We use (Cubase, Native Instruments, Arturia) Take an -enormous- amount of CPU and memory resources.

It's got a lot better since I updated my hardware. But I still need to keep my machine at tip-top performance.

Of course, Your mileage may vary. :)

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mmtrt

mmtrt MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    Used his tweaks since xp days because lag & slow performance on older system and now we have faster systems with more ram so no need of it but still useful to who have older systems running 10.

PS: he hasn't update one click reg creation tool its still till windows 7.

7. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I think my earlier post about "hacking" XP (via Black Viper) was not quite accurate. The info was more along the lines of:

XP services - a description of what they were for and if it would benefit your environment to disable them.

Making the administrator account visible - sure, we all know it now, but back then XP was new and M$ wasn't making things like this obvious.

Putting a Control Panel icon on the desktop. Same as above. Just a lot of info you couldn't easily find elsewhere back then.

8. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I give credit where credit is due, and Black Viper has certainly put in his time and effort over the years! Never charges a fee for his informative guides, either. Anyone who takes the time to actually read the guide will know how much time and effort went into creating it, and making it available to people who choose to take advantage of the information contained within.

What I find to be revealing in this thread is the number of senior members who have never heard of him. Amazing......

But I digress. What I think should be the focus of this thread, is the information in the OP. The guide is the main focus, and I have yet to read of anyone giving the guide a thumbs up, or bringing to light any errors or misinformation within that guide. I believe that all members of this forum would be well served if this thread took a turn in that direction.. Just my opinion, of course. I suspect that some will still prefer to just talk about the person, rather than discuss the merits of the actual guide. Human nature, after all....

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Windows 10 config BV makes no mention of privacy, or setting the system for disabling M$ tracking

10. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

#30 AcuraTML, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2015
    (OP)
    There really is no need to have ( privacy, or setting the system for disabling M$ tracking to scream out at you) just scroll his list of services and you will see that he targeted all of the tracking and privacy services)

But again make sure you know what your going and keep his list saved for in the future to revert back to the factory services default level in needed...

I truly believe, BV is where its at in regards to make your Windows Ten Safer regarding Tracking and Safety, plus 100% over all performance that gets unleashed, I am using his very carefully thought out services tweaks and I LOVE IT!!!

REBOOT AND WINDOWS TEN IS MIND BLOWING IN PERFORMENCE AND BASES ARE COVERED REGARDING TRACKING AND SAFETY...

Give your Win Ten, a couple of days to settle and then come back and tell me if I am wrong in any aspect with BV's sound and firm tweaks and information....

11. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Do you know if he has (or will) make any of his recommended configs available as reg files as he used to do?? I've not read the content at your link yet, sorry. I've known of him and appreciated his work for years.

12. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

I will get back to you, he is out of town on Vacation, I am sure he could do something like your seeking,

Message him he is real friendly and a wonderful guy, he will respond if not tide up or hosting a party somewhere...but he will get back to you ASAP when you can if you drop him a question or a message within his domain..

13. Carol666

Carol666 MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    @acura and what's so special about that website and list of default windows services?

14. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

#34 AcuraTML, Aug 22, 2015
    (OP)
    If you read and look around you will find a Pot of Gold of Information about Windows from XP and up to Ten

BV, is a wizard and trust me not to many around on the net who have what he has for expert advice for any Windows Operating System, some have said he forgotten most of what this lad knows :) regarding safety and performance tweaks all Windows versions

( " BV has forgotten what he is capable of regarding well thought out and tested tweaks and adjustments with in the Windows OS " )

15. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Me too, this is the first time.. :tea:

16. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

You can take a leap, and try it on your virtualbox anytime and then you, will know what BV work and advice is all about...

17. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    I have also been following (and trusting) his service tweaks for ten years or so now. Always reliable and trustworthy service tweak information and details regarding Windows services. It's good to see that he has kept going all of these years.

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Carol666: Black Viper has made a list of services that can be turned off, depending on what the machine is being used for.
    This allows you to optimize your computer and get the best performance.

As with all tweaks, make sure that you set a restore point or make a backup before turning off any services. And make a note of the original state of the service before you turn it off. (Start, Delayed Start, etc..)
    This will help you if you find a situation where something fails.

I find that doing them one at a time makes it easier to see the results.

Of course, there are services that rely on each other; make a note of those states as well.

Be safe.

:MJ

19. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

The guy is priceless and a major part of what, Windows Operating Systems are all about in detail.

20. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

#40 AcuraTML, Aug 22, 2015
    (OP)
    Or save, the complete list for future use to turn on services if needed.

These are just services tweaks not command tweaks where you can be left with a bag in the hand and lots of trouble if you didn't do a complete back up in the first place.