Black Vipers Windows 10 Service Configurations (VERY USEFUL INFORMATION)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AcuraTML, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xano

xano MDL Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I remember Black Viper's guide. It was very useful, back when PCs had 256MB of RAM and you had to squeeze every KB out of it.
    I'm surprised this is still a thing.

2. lomticksoftoast

lomticksoftoast MDL Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I too have incorporated his advice into my service tweaks since the days of XP. He used to present a more user-friendly picture of himself longing with his cat. Don't let the gangsta-suit look through you off!! His advice solid!

3. TheCandyManHK

TheCandyManHK MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2015
    Would be cool if there was an all in one solution as 223 entries is going to take some time to do ..

4. Cain57

Cain57 MDL Senior Member

Sep 2, 2013
    I've used his advice on many PCs, thank you for posting this, I had lost track of him.

Can you ask him for a service guide to Windows Server E 2012 R2??? That beast is chocked full of services I have no idea what they do, or if they are necessary.

5. Zaul

Zaul MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2010
    As soon as I read the thread title, I instantly recognized the name Black Viper and thought: "Black Viper updated his site for Win10. Cool!" I saw that the thread had a bunch of posts, and expected to be enlightened with an in-depth discussion of the new content on Black Viper's site. Instead I was amused by an in-depth discussion of Black Viper's fame status. Is MDL the forum version of TMZ for techies?

Black Viper is famous to me. Not famous on the level of Elvis, but maybe on the level of Ice T. A guy with a cool image who delivers truth from his experience. In the past when I had questions about which services I could adjust, Black Viper's site was the site I would turn to.

This thread did get me wondering about Black Viper. Who is this guy? Looking around his site and the contact page, it appears that he is unemployed and broke.

6. E_B_M

E_B_M MDL Member

Jan 16, 2012
    #66 E_B_M, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    For machines on the lower end of the minimum requirements - my laptop for instance with 2g ram and a early AMD 64bit processor - I use BV's service ideas to reduce load and conserve ram. Between that and some other tweaks, I've found my laptop runs noticeably better.

On my desktop - Xenon X5680, 6g ram - I look at his recommendations and may remove a few services I don't need, but I don't worry about detail tweaks.

T

8. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

I have 5 devices and all of then are settling each day now its day 2 and both of these Surface Pro3's run like rockets thanks to BV, BV is the only one who knows what needs to be done to services safely and you get a big bonus in performance in return...

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. E_B_M

E_B_M MDL Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Dude...it's snark, lighten up Francis.

11. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    Been using his site since Xp days, made xp much faster than the default that's for sure,
    These days unless its a low end/old system (which i have a few of still) i still use it more for privacy/secuirty reasons, than gaining performance.

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    anyone here who can stop this useless BV advertisement, no?

It reads like HE is the only one, guess his wallet is filled up now. Never read so much likes upon someone who almost disappeared from the scene or better say from the forum scene.
    I hope he still makes some bucks and is into the scene like in XP times.
    Reading the current site is not so special or better say MDL is more advanced on W10, NO?
    Someone placed that hype for a reason ...

13. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009

god bless you

14. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #79 bk109, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    It sure makes more sense to go it that way
    than him asking the denizens of the net to pay off his credit card debt,while bragging how "he gets 8k unique visitors per day" or how he didn't ask for money for appearances in "traditional media",or even the weirdest statement that there are no IT positions in Northern Frigging California (aka where pretty much all the big boys in IT are head-quartered )
    I'll ignore the fact that as an IT savvy guy,he could've driven costs down A LOT (outside of the MSDN subscription) by using a commercial platform like wordpress or blogspot (tied to a free domain),instead of having to pay serious money he DIDN'T have just so he could maintain his own site...

Yes,his site is a decent reference tool (nothing you couldn't find at multiple other places online,though), but if he couldn't afford his expensive hobby and he couldn't use his "cred" and high traffic to either rake in enough money to support himself or to find a paying gig in IT,then why are people asked to get him outta the hole he dug himself into?!

15. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Perhaps I've become "battle-hardened" from living in NYC, but us New Yorkers just look past the "Gimmie Money" part and take the freebie. Much the same as not clicking on the "downloader" virus link on dl sites.

And We're usually pretty good at spotting scams from a mile away, because We have so many scammers on our streets.

Now, I usually grab freebies, if for no other reason but to give them to someone else who is not as tech savvy as Me.
    Windows 10 was the only exception, and the only freebie that I didn't take. I knew that MS was giving away rotten apples from the start.

I'm not saying "Give Him Money". I'm saying that His site has been around for years, and He has provided some useful info.

If you want to contribute money, then please give money, half-eaten sandwiches, beer to the "Buy MJ a Lamborghini fund".

:D

:MJ