Blocked WMC keys

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NoOne2000, Oct 25, 2013.

1. NoOne2000

NoOne2000 MDL Junior Member

May 30, 2011
    After multiple reinstalls of Windows due to some faulty drivers my WMC key become broken

In metro UI I get :
    0xC004C008 The server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit.
    In cmd.exe slmgr -ato I get :
    0xC004C008 The activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used.

My key is not blocked,it activates fine over the phone,but not anymore online...

Also I tried a new unused WMC key,and it is blocked,the phone says that I am victim of software piracy (key tested on untouched .iso of Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center RTM)

Unused free WMC key :
    0xC004C003 The activation server determined that the specified product key has been blocked.

So my question is,will my key reset it's unlock limit after a period of time ? I tried calling to MS and all they tell me is to activate by phone,bla,bla,they can't reset the activation limit,bla,bla

Also,did MS blocked the unused WMC keys ?

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    wmc keys had a deadline to be activated,

3. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
  4. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Free WMC keys had to be used before January 31, 2013. If you never used that key, then it has expired.

5. NoOne2000

May 30, 2011
    I used my key in February if I remember...,anyway,what about the activation limit,it will reset after some time ? I hope it's not always necesary to call MS or to restore activation...

6. Gfnn

Gfnn MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think it will... o_O

7. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    With regards to your existing (used) WMC key, the error code of 0xC004C008 and error message of "..exceeded its unlock limit" means that you are trying to use the key on a different computer than it was originally activated on.

This could be because you really are trying on a different PC (the WMC keys only work on a single PC and can't be transferred). Alternatively, it's because the hardware of the PC in question has changed substantially (you put more RAM in, changed the motherboard or replaced the hard drive etc.) so the activation system sees it as a different PC. You are basically out of luck unless you can restore the hardware to match the state it was in when the WMC key was first activated.

With regards to unused keys from the free promotion, as others have already explained, those can't be used anymore.

8. ALeXTheGreaT

ALeXTheGreaT MDL Junior Member

Nov 20, 2009
    #8 ALeXTheGreaT, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    My initial WMC key works great. I used it right after I got it back then. I activated via Phone the 8.1 and then used the WMC key which worked perfectly. Now I use the same unique WMC key that I used on Windows 8 after KMS.

I had a second one that I never used and lately I deleted it from my archive, since I know it would be useless.

I didn't know I have a limit on how many times I can use it. But it doesn't matter anyway, since KMS is now working on 8.1.

9. NoOne2000

May 30, 2011
    I was just playing with generic activation tokens before it got broken,so maybe a clean install will fix the key issue,it seems like reinstalling multiple times did no affect the key...

10. NoOne2000

May 30, 2011
    UPDATE:

Today I reinstalled Windows 8.1 on the same PC,still same error
    Got a new laptop,installed Windows 8.1,activated succesfully
    Then I reinstalled Windows 8.1 on the same PC,still same error

CONCLUSION:
    Microsoft blocked my PC...or the key can't be used on this PC anymore,what components affect the hardware id ? If it's the HDD,that's fine,I will upgrade to an SSD soon

11. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Are you talking of the same key for the three installations above?

12. NoOne2000

May 30, 2011
    Yes,same key that got blocked on my PC

13. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    It baffles me that your key is already blocked, yet you are able to successfully activate it on a new laptop.

After activating your laptop, yet you went back to install the same key which works fine on your laptop on your pc.?

14. nori2nori

nori2nori MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    I think you used the same product key on the same PC where you activated the same PC once by using the same product key in the past. Therefore, you must change the Installation ID on "the same PC" in the following manner :

In Device Manager by : right-click the Start button , click Run ( Windows + R ) - > type devmgmt.msc ( or right-click PC This icon , select Device Manager ) .

Find Network Adapters then disable the network connection you are using (I had managed to disable the Ethernet LAN card , but I have not tried Wifi ) .
    Next, run CMD with administrator rights ( Windows XA ) , insert the key with the command :

slmgr.vbs / ipk <key cu>

Click OK when notified add the key , then type the slui 4 - > Enter - > Next. At this point the system will provide the Installation ID other than at the beginning. You can even get 3rd Installation ID instead by disabling network card , this will disable the sound card and disable or both, then repeat the process from step add key .
    (Note: The Network Adapter Sound Card & you can even find plenty of equipment for the disabled to have many different new ID .....:cool:

15. NoOne2000

May 30, 2011
    I am only trying to figure out what is going on,how the key got blocked on my PC,yet is working fine on a new laptop !

16. NoOne2000

May 30, 2011
    It gives me a different installation ID,that's correct,but it give the same error,I think it's somehow related to hardware it,because if I fully wipe my system drive and put back clean windows,it give same message...

17. Rainey

Rainey MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    #17 Rainey, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    Your story is full of holes .
    I just came here looking for a guide to upgrade to 8.1 from my Windows 8 WMC free key.

If you just read the few posts about how to do that you will see what you are trying will not work or you are not tell us the full story.

1. You can not do a fresh install of windows 8.1 and active it with a free WMC key without using modified tokens. This is why you PC will not active.
    2. it was stated in this thread you can not use the Key on multiple PC, so why is it working on the Laptop. Most likely it is not what is being used and the activation of the laptop may be from the BIOS SLIC or OEM method.

But of course i am only guessing from the thinks you have said that don't seem to follow the rules from the other post about what works and what don't.
    See the post -Windows-8-1-Pro-WMC-generic-activation-tokens-creation

18. NoOne2000

May 30, 2011
    1.Yes you can do,tested multiple times,you can reinstall windows 8.1 using generic pro key,then upgrade to media center with generic product key,after that,do a slmgr -upk followed by a slmgr -cpky and slmgr -ipk XXX (XXX is your key),then a slmgr -ato should activate it
    2.My laptop came with FreeDOS (no operating system,and has no slic)

19. Rainey

Rainey MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2011
    Well maybe i am not understanding what you are doing, but it seems you stated you used a free WMC upgrade key on both your PC and Laptop.

I think if you have not already read this thread you should see link below
    --
    <b>Windows 8.1 Pro WMC generic activation tokens creation,</b>

What this post is about
    A procedure for creating a set of generic activation tokens (data.dat, tokens.dat) for Windows 8.1 Pro WMC. Using these tokens allows the installation and activation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC if you have a Pro WMC upgrade key, <b>without the need for a Windows 8/8.1 Pro key. </b> Generic in this case means that the tokens don't contain any personally identifiable information or product keys except general/default ones, and the tokens are not specific to any one PC.
    --
    hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/49539-Windows-8-1-Pro-WMC-generic-activation-tokens-creation

Well this is the second time i have tried to post a link and find out i am not allowed so you have to search for it