Blue screen after inserting a dvd

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vistadude, Oct 19, 2008.

1. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #1 vistadude, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I just did a clean install of vista. I'm getting this error twice on every restart, regardless of whether I insert a dvd or not. And I havn't even installed a single driver or any software.

It must be the memory then. Right now the config is
    Slot 1: 1 GB pc2-4200 Samsung
    Slot 2: 1 GB pc2-4200 Samsung
    Slot 3: 2 GB pc2-6400 Crucial
    Slot 4: 2 GB pc2-6400 Crucial

I'm going to try to remove the samsung memory, but if it's the crucuial memory that's a problem, it'd be a shame if I couldn't use it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

4. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Unfortunately, this seems to be entirely related to the RAM.

I took out the old ram and put the new 4 gb pc-6400 in slot 1 and 2. I even had to remove the video card to move the ram. I still get the blue screens.

Then I took out the new ram and put in the old 2 gb pc-4200 is slot 1 and 2. Now the blue screens seem to be gone.

Damn it, I already sent in the upc for a rebate, so I'm stuck with 4 gb of useless pc-6400. Does anyone know if I can do anything else, like changing voltages? I have an hp bios, and there's nothing there to alter voltages.

:(:(

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    are yo sure the MB supports that much ram??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Not sure if this is any good but on my dell machine the ram is in different slots this is the way it came from dell.

7. Bazariux

Bazariux MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2008
    the new ram modules is registered or not? there is allways problems by mixing stuff like that. one more thing is the dual channel. all new boards supporting dual-channel. that means you get double speed at ram. if fsb is lower that can couse some problems to os. try resetting bios to default settings then read the motherboard manual to get the best settings. if you are moded bios then it can couse some problems to. personaly i allways look for ram support in manufacturers website. most of big ones has lists of modules that are marked as "working perfect with motherboard". it could be also the faulty ram modules. try on other motherboard (friends etc). if the ram will work (by single module and dual-channel it could be the motherboard problem, search for bios upgrades, read changelogs of them. good luck

8. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I think I'll just deal with the blue screens for now and buy a different brand of ram when there's a good deal.